Frequent crashes in Sketchup

The developers do communicate what version(s) of the operating system the application officially supports. It’ll be in the system requirements which are available on the website. For SketchUp 2022:

If you choose to update your operating system to a newer version than the application supports, you take the risk of having issues but that’s your responsibilty.

This isn’t the developers decision. As I wrote, at some point the company has to choose where to invest the resources they have. Perhaps you would suggest they hire more developers and keep some strictly for updating the current version if the OS gets changed. Of course you would have to pay more for the license to support these additonal developers and the add overhead.

2 Likes

alegar,

Please try this, however, it sounds like your SketchUp will run, but crashes. If the standard macOS launcher is at fault, this might really change your experience with SketchUp for the better. It will not hurt to try it.

My studio is currently using MacOS Monterey but Trorg says this might well work on Ventura. Please try if you have Ventura, our studio would like to know if the upgraded OS will work for SketchUp (it why we bought the M1 Max Apple Studio).

Here is a solution from my friend Trorg Mjolnir, he’s a Apple programmer from way back. He seems to think it will also fix any 2021 issues.

Our studio just bought a Apple Mac Studio with an M1 Max chip and installed SketchUp 2022. Sure enough, it did not open a window, and force quit was the only thing to do. So here is a solution if you please…

Remember your Mac is just a fancy UNIX box! (says Trorg!?!)

On the desktop make a file with this single line in it, nothing else.

/Applications/SketchUp\ 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/MacOS/SketchUp &

Two things here…

1. The & symbol at the end puts sketch up into the background like you want it (probably).
  2. Now, make the file executable (if you know how). Clicking on it will then open SketchUp as it will when they fix the problem (if this isn’t it).

One more thing:
I understand UNIX and the terminal can be intimidating, so, if you want the above done for you, open a terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and just copy and paste the following in. You can even just highlight the line below and drag it into a terminal window, then hit the return key on the keyboard. Find the new ‘sketchup’ on the Desktop and double click it. Good luck and I hope you are off and running with SketchUp. Our studio loves it.

echo /Applications/SketchUp\\\ 2022/SketchUp.app/Contents/MacOS/SketchUp\ \& > $HOME/Desktop/sketchup; chmod 700 $HOME/Desktop/sketchup;

Thank you very much for your advice.

In reality, yes, I work with Ventura, with Monterrey it happened but less frequently. Now it is very uncomfortable to work in this mode.

The official Sketchup sites tell me that they do not spend time improving the 2022 version because Apple changed the operating system in the second half of 2022. They are dedicated exclusively to preparing the 2023 version that you will have to buy for a better service. Very unpleasant, especially since this will be repeated every time Apple changes the operating system. Unfortunately, this is the offer.

For now I have to decide whether to wait for the 2023 version and never catalyze the Apple operating system again. Or look for other software that has fewer problems.

Thanks a lot

Alejandro