Font Substitutions LO

Had a weird issue last night - built a LO template for a client. I used Gill Sans (I’m on a Mac) - I had assumed it was a fairly innocuous choice - but upon back saving to LO 2017 and my client opening the file - all the text was in a strange font.
(photo of screen texted to me from my client)

Any thoughts on preventing this - other than just using Helvetica or Verdana?
Also - add to the wish list - an easy way to substitute missing fonts…

I’ve shared similar files with the same font with other PC only clients with no issue, so I was surprised.

Is that view from LayOut on the client’s computer?

I’m not clear whether it is the font or the characters that are unexpected. The characters look Greek or Hebrew but both the screen characters and the subsequent annotation (in red) are in the same language/font. OOH, there is what looks like capital Western script in the logo to the far top left.

Just for context, you didn’t mention yet whether your client uses Hebrew as system language? (And even then it would be surprising that font-fallback selects glyphs from the hebrew character range).

I’d expect that all modern files save text as Unicode encoding (so there are no clashes that depending on encoding, the same code points are used for different writing systems). Can you check if LayOut has Save Options where encoding can be set?

It would also be ideal if all applications producing output for publications are able to embed fonts (e.g. like PDF etc.). You could also export a PDF and send it to the client, but one of the special features of LayOut is the capability of embedding 3D views.

Dave - yes - the client snapped a photo with his phone and sent it to me wondering what I sent him!

The annotation is mine. I build a layer into my templates on how to use them with notes in red. So the client can explore and have some guidance. The logo is a graphic that was pasted in.

I have never seen this before - but will ask the client if they have alternate languages installed.

I agree on the embedding. I grew up in the land of QuarkXPress and graphic design - remember the days of making sure fonts were sent along when final prints were ordered.

You could also export a PDF and send it to the client, but one of the special features of LayOut is the capability of embedding 3D views.

I build templates in LO for clients that I am training / teaching to use. A PDF would be fine for my design clients - this use is for the client to have a starting place with their logo, fonts, titles, information already started.