Follow Me, Lathe: No bottom face

Trying to make a pin with chamfered ends and grooves for clip rings. I got through the scaling problem and have faces everywhere that faces should be except for the bottom. I can’t seem to get a face on the bottom circle. There is one on the top. What next?

What do you mean you “got through the scaling problem”? What scaling problem? How did you get through it?

Was your process something like this? If not, what did you do differently?

-Gully

I tried to look up this issue before posting a new thread and found this Follow Me does not work on small drawings explaining that some faces don’t close if the dimensions are very small. The work around is to scale up the face to be rotated then rotate and scale back down. I have small dimensions on the pin that I am trying to model so I performed the scaling operation (x100) then executed the Follow Me command. It rotated fine however there is no bottom face. My pin looks like the one you posted but if I rotate to look in the bottom I can see up into the pin. The only things that are different than you is that my circle for the rotation path and the bottom of the pin are in the same plane and the circle is not the same radius as the bottom surface of the pin.

Well, gee, that should have worked. You seem to have done everything right. Can you post the model?

-Gully

Edit:

Upon reflection, if the circular path is as large as or larger than the missing face, it would seem that the lathing operation just peels away the bottom face. In this picture, I raised the circle up to the same level as the bottom of the profile and made sure it was larger than the bottom face of the pin:

I suggest you try again with the profile not touching the path. In general, this practice leads to fewer surprises.

-G

I tried as you suggested and it worked. I grouped the resulting stuff and it shows as a solid. So to recap, the follow me path must be a smaller diameter circle than the circle that will result once the entity is rotated and the follow me path should be on a different plane than the entity to be rotated.

Thanks for the help

As long as the circular path doesn’t touch the profile, its size is arbitrary. The important attributes of the path are number of segments and alignment with the axis system, since these are inherited by the extrusion.

-Gully