Follow me and the elusive clover

How do I get this profile to wrap the clover shape, but NOT the flat edge?
(I’ve been careful to deselect this edge, before operation, but it still wraps it.)

Clover 8 24 21.skp (3.7 MB)

Only select the curves.

Thanks!
It looks like I also had part of the face selected…

New problem:
There are “holes” in the profile…
I thought I was careful with my work flow.
The clover shape was brought in as a DXF, fyi,Clover 8 24 21.skp (4.3 MB)

2 Likes

Interesting!
I’ll give it a go thanks.

To clarify, I’ll need to scale up the original geometry, and re-do all the FM operations, correct?

Here I made a component of the middle one, made a copy and scaled it up, did the follow me on the big one and you can see the little one works too.
GIF 25-08-2021 10-19-15 AM

1 Like

The method Box shows worked fine for me, too.

Two things before you go to far, though. One, you should look very closely at the ogee profile you’ve drawn. It isn’t quite right. The arcs bulge a bit beyond being just quarter circles.

B. How do you propose to cut the profile in the shop? A router bit would be unable to cut the sharp inside corners like this. I suppose you could get it close and finish the rest by hand.

1 Like

Your method worked thanks! (Except for small artifact on face).
I scaled it up to 3xs, then back down after FM operation…

Regarding CNC operation, this will need to be cut w a .125" or even .0625" cutter, assuming client wants to pay for inside corner detail…
As you caught with your eye, they held the router ON EDGE after the trim was already nailed in, causing the xtra work…

Why 3x?

I always scale up by 1000 because it makes any math or decimal moving I might need to do simple. And I don’t scale back down because I scale a copy of the component up.

1 Like

Did you read the thread I linked to!

1 Like

Yes, Sounds like I should have done it 1000xs…

The point is, when done correctly you just delete the large one when done and the small one retains the edits.

1 Like

Noted.
I created construction lines at the original (smaller) size, then scaled down aligning to those line, which is definitely risker than using decimal multipliers…

You should never have to scale down.

I think I got it…
Does it seem correct?
1)UNDO your object to the point before it had the FM profile applied to it, OR redraw…
2)turn your target object into a component
3) copy your component
4) scale up your component by 1000
6) Run the FM profile on the larger copy only.
7) The smaller copy (being a component) will have updated, without the problem holes in the face
8) delete your larger copy of

2 Likes