Floor levels using using SketchUp & Layout for Architecture

Anyone using the S&LfArchitecture workflow who can describe their process on creating additional floor levels in the schematic phase? The book skips right over that whole process. Is it as simple as copying my original floor footprint to the appropriate height desired, extruding for proper thickness and then going to town on the plan?
Anyone keep their floors seperate by level? The template files only seem to categorize into floors in general.
Also, last question: what is the OB and LO layer naming conventions represent? LO = LayOut…don’t seem to register what the other is for.

Hi, the process for creating levels is exactly the same as what is described for the first level. I determine where my second level will be in relationship to the first level for obvious structural considerations and connection to vertical circulation. Each level is grouped separately.

All floors are kept on separate layers and all the groups that compose the OB or “Objects” such as floors, walls, windows, doors, cabinets etc are grouped together on the LO or “Level” layer. This allows you to easily toggle on and off entire levels with activating a single layer. The SP layer is for special items that either create vector line work in Layout or provide information in the model - like area calculations.

The key is understanding the hierarchy of the layers and how the system works. This is discussed in detail in the book and is key for quickly preparing scenes in Layout.

I hope that helps.

Nick

1 Like

Nick-
Thanks. I did go back in the book to re-read the section on Layers and that helped eliminate a lot of my confusion. There’s a little bit of workflow difference and hierarchy of groups+layers that I still need to get used to coming from other software.
It also didn’t help that I started to work on my project in SketchUp in around Thanksgiving, then had sporadic time to use it over the last four weeks.