Floating stairs boxes

Hello friends!

So recently i have started working on bog oak floating stairs boxes.

I have my own workshop and im into woodworking for a few years, but in last year profesionally.

I am making boxes from rough cut bog oak which im further cutting to size and planing for thickness and straightness.

I have few questions and your tips would be appreciated.

My boards arent perfectly straight, i am using rough cut board on straight board through planer technique, but they still arent dead flat. Some of them have arch in them, and i though about gluing and doweling/ biscuit joining them in opposite arch so two board would flatten themself once glued.

I will also cut the board in 45% so no edge will be seen, i know precision is crucial here so i will try my best to hit all the right angles!

Here are few pictures of wood before and after planing them.

What does this have to do with SketchUp?

1 Like

Glad to have you share your project, but how does this pertain to SketchUp?

EDIT: Dave is SO fast!!

2 Likes

I know there is alot of woodworker here, so i thought it would be good place to post this. I have posted this topic on other woodworking forum but no answers yet.

It’s been moved to the Corner Bar which is a more appropriate category for it.

A planer will not straighten a board that is not straight. A planer will only make one face parallel to the other. You need to face joint one side to make that flat. Then use the planer to flatten the opposite side. If you haven’t got a jointer, you can make a sled for the planer to hold the board with some wedges under it to level it out. The sled needs to be built so it is rigid and it needs to be a bit longer than the work you are working.

Another option would be to glue some long straight pieces on the the edges of your board so that they provide a straight, flat surface to run on the bed of the planer. If you do this, make the side runners long enough so any planer snipe ends up on them instead of on your work.

3 Likes

I personally use the “sled” route. It is faster and can be used more than once.
But you need to take really light cuts so your infeed/outfeed rollers don’t push your stock down.
Actually I do have a 12" joiner, so I don’t need to use that technique all that often.