FlexTools Extension

Hey Kevin,

The best way would be to place a flex component (or all the flex components) in a model. Modify the tag names to match the ConDoc tags (and customize anything else, like sizes, materials etc. that you’d want to have as your defaults) and then save the components aside into a folder on your hard drive using Component Finder.

It’s possible @mikebrightman has others ideas on how to change default tags for flex components through the ConDoc plugin.

1 Like

The fixed window component has one frame without the inner sash frame, so yes, probably the best way would be to use a casement or awning and delete the 2D elevation symbols and delete the handle.

If you wish to modify the symbols (to an X for example for marking a fixed window) make sure all edits to the symbol components are within their component boundaries and reach the boundaries too. If the geometry is smaller or larger weird distortions will happen after a component refresh…

1 Like

Is there a way to not have the cut openings paint the opening faces with the material that is on the main face that gets cut? I’d like it to keep the cut faces the default material

I’m afraid that you can only show the Mass modeling - Reveals

Then edit it’s prooperties and change the colour (double click on it)

The only problem is that you will have two faces in the same place

This is a good solution! To overcome the flickering of double faces you can hide the wallcutter generated reveals. To do this, with the window/s selected:

Open the wallcutter settings:

Choose to Hide Cut Faces:

Perhaps in a future update we could add an option in the wallcutter settings to “not paint the reveals with the wall’s outer color”.

2 Likes

Just released the new flexible U-shaped stairs! :grinning:

Let us know what you think!

u-stairs_05e

3 Likes

Great!!!
I needed two days ago that I had to draw one…:wink:

1 Like

Is there a way to hide the bottom then on the Flex slider door/window? I don’t want that bottom massing to show on the floor

The button @Yoni said a few post before “hide cuts faces”

Doh! I was confronted with this in the past week or two and only noticed this now!

In this case, go into the slider component, and into the reveals sub-component (it’s called “wall_all”) and delete the bottom face. Generally you can (almost) always delete parts you don’t need.

Wondering if anyone has experience creating Flex Windows with window frame flanges as default. Have not found a flange option in the dynamic component options list yet. Searched with Google looking for “Flextools window flanges” …etc, but no relevant hits yet. Not a deal breaker. Could add some flange geometry to the window component myself I guess, but if it is a buried option in Flex Window components already that would be a time saver. (Update- with so many sundry sub-components inside a FlexTools window it was involved to add my own window flanges)

Purchased FlexTools a couple years ago, but initially had trouble applying windows and doors to surfaces that were not on one of the three global axis… probably my inexperience. Didn’t use it much because my main project at the time involved a significant amount of geometry rotated off the global axis.

Since my subscription auto-renewed in May-2023 I am trying to use FlexTools once again and decide whether to keep my subscription next year. Many users comment that they find FlexTools quite useful, so I want to use it.

QUESTION: Why the heck is FlexTools adding tags/layers to my model and how do I safely get rid of them ? This is a pain. No other extension I use in SU-2021-pro creates it’s own tags/layers. Can I move all these unwanted tags to the UNTAGGED layer ? Not even Sketchup Lab’s Live Window Component objects add unwanted tags when I import them into my model.

I mostly don’t use the components that come with FlexTools anymore. I make my own or use other stuff like Marvin dynamic window components from 3D Warehouse.
202300509 FlexTools & Marvin-720p

I this case, I made my own component with a Marvin Dynamic component nested inside with my own casing and trim.

I never use the scale tool for resizing windows. Even when dynamic components are designed to work that way, I don’t find it useful. For non-dynamic components, I use Takata’s Stretch by Area to resize anything, though others are partial to Fredo Scale.

You can make anything a cutter, but the key to windows with casing and trim is that you have to Exclude them from the cutting operation.

BTW, at 3D Basecamp, @Yoni was showing me an experiment he was working on to have a window component with trim that worked with the scale tool, but it was clearly complicated under the hood. Given that Dynamic Components are being replaced by Live Components, they should probably work on replacing all their DC’s with LC’s which is understandably a large undertaking.

Instant Architecture also adds tags with the addition of windows and doors. On both FlexTools and Instant Architecture, it is done for your convenience. You can move the geometry to whatever tags you like. But new additions will also add tags and locate the geometry in the automatic tags.

I have struggled with doors and windows myself. That is a very long discussion, and you could PM me if you care to hear my travel stories.

But my question is, why do you want flanges for any window geometry but for cutaway details?

Thank you for your advice and recommendation to look at Marvin Dynamic components which I will do. Also confirms what I had wondered regarding Dynamic Components: that Trimble had not implemented them well according to knowledgeable SU users and this created an inherent difficulty for FlexTools developers. Heavy lift to convert to Live Components, perhaps fewer problems in the future vs Dynamic components.

Thanks for your info about tags being added by other window and door components. I will likely move those FlexTools tags into my own “Windows-Doors” tag as a personal preference. If having new separate tags is helpful for other SU users that’s a good thing.

My original post wasn’t very clear … sorry for the confusion regarding window flanges (usually metal and called “nail flanges” I think, perpendicular to side frame of window, not the window trim …etc. So far I have drawn the window openings first then added windows as a component into the empty opening, so I don’t use FlexTools wall cutout feature. Mostly because my kit-home design project has evolved to non-stick-built construction using steel moment frames to reduce parts count to meet the goal of a 3 week on-site construction timeline (following concrete stem-wall timeline completion).

After 3 years of “prefab modular” design effort (which is just stick-built really), I was never able get close to a construction timeline under one month to reduce costs. I’ve had much more success with a steel portal frame skeleton on 8’ft ctc bolted together in the field, then applying the enclosure skin as panels to meet a one month timeline. Mentioned so as to explain: my wall window framing details are non-standard so I feel the need to draw in the framing details not just cut into a wall, which 99% of other projects would rightly assume is a standard stick-built framed wall, but not in my case.

I am surprised we don’t see more prefab for home building. My first job was working on prefab walls and trusses inside a building on the edge of a large new tract homes development. We built the walls, added windows and even brick sheathing and plywood siding before moving to the site by forklift. All in the comfort of an air-conditioned building (in Houston that is a big plus). Rain or shine, work went on.

When the homes were all built, that building was sold as a strip center. The equipment inside was moved to the next development site. That man was Joe Johnson and he became a very wealthy man. He was ahead of his time since this was 50 years ago. I ran into Mr. Johnson later in life on a large commercial project. But I won’t bore you with that story.

Does anyone know how to hide the edges created by the flex tools stairs in section views?

Try setting the Section Fill, and Section Lines to have the same color:

Window > Default Tray > Styles > Edit Tab > Modeling Settings > Section Fill & Section Lines

Any other options if I like the look of the lines a different color than the fill?