FlexTools Extension

Hi Christopher,

An internet connection is required only for the once a year activation, and for when there are updates of new components and tools which we are constantly working on, and releasing as they are ready. You do not need to be connected all the time.

2 Likes

As a follow up see attached gif

3 different instances of the window, all have the sill specs zeroed out but each show a partial sill.

Also see other example where i drag in a window onto a face where there was previously a window and the window no longer cuts a hole??

Hi,

1. Something isn’t right in the first gif with the sills. It looks like the DC plugin just stopped working (maybe a restart would help), but it’s hard to tell from the gif alone exactly what is going on there. Can you send the model to yoni@flextools.cc?

2. Placing wall cutter components side by side may cause some issues too. Not those issues, but more related to the wall not healing correctly. So if those are wall cutters I’d recommend to convert them to regular components.

3. For the second gif
    a. As a general rule, it’s recommended to place the window outside of the wall component and not directly on the face.

b. Make sure the wall element is in a component, and not in a group.

Placing the window on a face or on a group could cause unexpected behaviors if you wish to later move the window around and keep the dynamic openings as expected.

c. Make sure all the wall faces are facing out - Switch to the monochrome style > White faces pointing out, and colored faces pointing in.

d. If you can send to me the second model, it may be helpful too.

A new update is out!

You can now browse and search through your In-Model Components and Groups with :mag:ComponentFinder!

Read more details on the FlexBlog.

You can now produce 45(+) different Dynamic Doors, thanks to Mr. pcmoor and his extremely useful Multi Dynamic Door Panel .

How? By combining it with FlexDoor :slightly_smiling_face:

We’ve known about this multi door panel component for quite some time now, but it had a catch. The minute you made a copy of it, and altered one of the copies, both DCs would jumble up with sub-components flying all around your model. The only solution was to delve deep into each component and make all of it’s sub-components unique - A very time intensive process. So… we decided to develop a tool just for this called ’ Make Totally Unique '. After applying this tool to your new door variations, the door and all of it’s sub-components will instantly become unique and they will all behave just right.

See the video in this FlexBlog post:

flexdoor%20dynamic-multi-panel

2 Likes

Sketchup 2019 is available! :grinning:

As far as our testing, the current version of FlexTools should work on it just fine :crossed_fingers:
Let us know how it goes for you.

1 Like

We’ve had a chance to visit a manufacturer of beautiful high quality hidden doors called Minimal Doors.

Now we’re happy to share with you their elegant, hidden, very minimal (now flex) doors, and a new WallCutter feature ‘Hide Cut Edges’.

Learn more about how to hide frames in this FlexBlog post.

1 Like

New Flex Casement Double Window with 20 window style presets is released!:tada::tada::tada:

See more details in the FlexBlog: https://flextools.cc/blog/flex-casement-double-window

2 Likes

A new video by Justin from The Sketchup Essentials shows how to build a house in no time using FlexTools and Tig Roof.

3 New Flex Windows released!

Dynamic Hopper-Awning, Casement Single and a Fixed Window are now available.
They can also be combined into new types of windows!

Learn more in the FlexBlog.

1 Like

With this new Flex Window, you can create a simple Hopper.
Change one setting and it’s an Awning!

Change another setting and it’s flipped inside out!

Double Click into it and you have the same 20 presets and full customization like with the previously released Casement-Double.

Casement-Single Flex Window

It’s just like the recently released Casement-Double, but single! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A Fixed Flex Window
It’s similar to the original FlexWindow, but it is a lot simpler.

Read more details in the FlexBlog: https://flextools.cc/blog/3-new-flex-windows/

1 Like

We started working on FlexStairs!

Here is a work-in-progress video:

• The stairs are recalculated while scaling according to the restrictions you enter (based on Blondel’s Rule).
  • The top step can be hidden.
  • You can set a minimum riser height.
  • You can also set a fixed tread length.

To be continued… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You will eventually need to address nosings at some point.

1 Like

This is superb news. If you include handrails and also dog leg and ‘L’ shaped stairs you’ll be on to a real winner. I’d also build-in the ability to add steps (single or multiple) into half landings too as this is often the only workable compliant solution in tight spaces. Great to see you guys pushing the boundaries. Love your work. You might just save SketchUp at this rate!

Great news yes. Personally I’d say that if the tool does the various possibilities structurally it should be fine as longs as components are used. The range of possibilities for balustrades and handrails together with inlays, finishes, nosings, etc. is so wide that I’d rather take the time to customize the components particular to the application than try to fiddle with numerous settings to see what it comes out like only to end up doing a partial custom job anyway. Remember to work in landings and being able to set governing parameters for that.

I don’t agree. Handrails are an integral and fundamental part of a stair and can have a major impact on it’s routing to ensure compliance. Inlays, finishings and nosings, and even balustrading, are decoration (or infill) that can be added at a later stage and have no impact on routing or structure.

…and headroom. I routinely draw the headroom required when drawing stairs to check compliance.

1 Like

yes please, customizable of course

I’m not arguing how integral they are, however you must have some sad sad designs…