Fixing Missing Faces

Hello,
How do i fix the ‘hole’ in the face of the attached model?
Sorry about having to ZIP it - model was larger than the upload limit.

Bathroom_Vanity_2018027.zip (1.9 MB)

You have a problem with your layers. Parts of that component are on another layer so you can’t fill in the face. Explode the component and you will find it works but the geometry ends up on mixed layers.
You need to look at how layers work in SU.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000122

1 Like

Thanks Box,
I admit I am a noob, but I’m still not seeing a way to fix the hole. I do have layers in my model, but may not be using them as intended. Could I get just a little more in the way of a tutorial on how to fix the holes (short of redrawing the component)?
Thanks,
Oppy

I don’t know how you went about drawing this component but you’ve managed to introduce some bad geometry that is preventing you from having a long continuous face like you should.

You’ll need to get rid of that and redraw at least that part of the component.

Here’s how I fixed it. But no doubt there are more layer problems in the rest of the model.Comp

Box,
Thanks for the tutorial! Very helpful.
Oppy

There’s enough wrong with the geometry in that component that it’s probably easier to start over than to attempt to fix it. A key part of the problem is that your component isn’t exactly square in cross section like it should be. The angles aren’t exactly 90°.

I started out trying to fix your component but it was taking longer than needed. I redrew starting from a square end section and redrew the component. Much easier and faster.

I agree with both @Box and @DaveR.

You have edges associated with different layers or components than their adjacent faces, which is a sure recipe for confusion! I suspect this came about because you drew too much and perhaps started assigning layers before starting to make components. Always create a component for a logical “part” as soon as you have enough edges and faces to define its basics. Then open it for edit to draw in the rest. While drawing in component edit mode you will still get inferences from things outside the component, so it is easy for example, to draw a new edge that traces part of one in a different component. Or, you can open the other component for edit, copy edit the relevant bits, close it and open the first component and do an edit->paste in place to put a duplicate in the first component. You can also do Intersect Faces with model while a component is open for edit to get intersection edges in that component.

There are also numerous places where things that should have been in line are very slightly askew. They are off by small enough amounts that sometimes SketchUp makes a face anyway, but they compound the difficulty of working with the model and will be very fiddly to repair without erasing many things and starting over. Example screenshots below, where I set the backface color to green and turned on endpoints in the style and then turned off various layers to emphasize the issues but otherwise didn’t edit the model. You can see various misalignments, spurious edges, and endpoints where they don’t belong. Some of your long edges have small “kinks” at these endpoints. Sad to say, cleaning it up by fixing these issues one-by-one will in many situations be very fussy and take longer than deleting and starting over.

13 AM

On a different matter, I suspect you downloaded the drain pipes from the 3D Warehouse. They are a typical example of drastic over-detail compared to what your model really needs. They use truly excessive amounts of geometry for what they contribute to the model (74024 edges of total 77626 and 48676 faces of total 50208 in the model!). I’d suggest replacing them with something much simpler, as they are bogging down your model.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.