First time user to 3d big learning curve trying to create from photo

first time user and trying to use the camera match new photo new to 3d need some help …big learning curve and never done this before…

Just the bridge? I don’t think Photo Match offers much in this case. It’s really a simple structure–completely modular, and I presume you know the dimensions. I would just construct one repeating module and replicate it. Well, you might want to make components for a bridge section, a plank, and a fencing section–something like that. Then just snap the pieces together.

In any event (even if you use Photo Match), it’s unrealistic to think you’re going to just sit down and model a bridge without first training yourself in the basics of the interface and toolset. Start by reading this Knowledge Base article called Learning SketchUp.

-Gully

1 Like

hi no i dont know the dimensions gully the tank is 20mm scale or 1/72 … i have another photo of the bridge…

hi the model is based on the primasole bridge in sicily in ww2

The Primosole Bridge is built from steel girders. It has a span of 400 feet (120 m), and is raised 8 feet (2.4 m) above the Simeto River.

Sounds like a research project. The best you’re going to do in Match Photo is an eyeball approximation.

-Gully

thanks gully appreciate it …

thomas

My father landed in Sicily at Pachino, July 10,1943
1st Canadian Armored Brigade, Three Rivers Regiment (Tank)

End of WWII - Holland
Geo Sr. Standing - Right
Sherman M4 Firefly

2 Likes

very cool mate…

thomas

Hey, Geo, he’s sort of a good-looking version of you.

Just kidding.

-Gully

1 Like

gully aka comedian ? …

heres the size of actual bridge

The Primosole Bridge is built from steel girders. It has a span of 400 feet (120 m), and is raised 8 feet (2.4 m) above the Simeto River.

That should allow you to derive the rest of the dimensions, and you can also double-check using, say, the width of the tank, which I’m sure is also a matter of record.

If you need help in the actual construction, let us know. But by all means do some self-training first.

…So an architect walks into a pub and sees a hippopotamous sitting at the bar. The hippo spots the architect in the mirror, turns to face him, and says…

Oh, you’ve heard that one?

-Gully

1 Like

thanks guys appreciate it … on building it where are you gully am in scotland …

thomas

I’m in Roswell, New Mexico, USA, Earth. Yes, that Roswell.

-Gully

1 Like

The bridge opening itself looks to be around 12’ high judging by the size of the men working inside the bridge and three jeeps wide.

If you knew the optical properties of the camera(s) used to take the picture, there are techniques to use Match Photo with the extension Advanced Camera Tools. But with the dated photos, mainly you will need to rely on know references to extrapolate the dimensions.

It may help to import the images into SU so you can scale the images to take measurements inside SU while modeling.

A related question, with the Photo Match tool. Is that best used or say designed for larger objects. Homes or buildings, being used show a street or a court yard in a office complex. Just large scale models…have only used it a few times but on interior furniture. A book case and entertainment module piece. Could never truly get the Z (blue axes) to aline. Found it easier to to lay a face in front of it and trace it in X-ray view and use tape measure to establish depth for shelves.

Have not used it on positioning a building from a city block or Geo-modeling (not joking!!) Just wondering if it is easier to use in that fashion or larger scaled models.

The size of the object doesn’t matter so long as the photo itself is suitable for the purpose and you have knowledge of the distance between two appropriate points visible in the photo.

Taking photos for Match Photo — SketchUp Help

Photogrammetry applied to Complex Site Measure — FDMC Article

Thanks for the links and it may also have been the photos. They were screen shots from a catalog ad ( cropped ) and not personal photos. So a little blurry and to zoom in they just got really pixelated so I was guesstimating the set points. I can see where they would be easier to use as with the barn photo from the first link. you sent. Good info to apply, also heard that the greater the distance in between the two points will improve the accuracy. Like sighting a target with a rifle instead of a pistol… Thanks!!