File size query

I’ve seen a number of posts where people (Hi Dave R!!!) have said that some components are over modelled relative to the overall model, and that file size can suffer as a result of this.
My house model ‘as existing’ was 7Mb, and when I’d added an extension and a number components from the 3D Warehouse and Podium Browser, the ‘as proposed’ file was 151Mb!!
I’ve purged in Model Info > Statistics > Purge All, and that brought it down to 80Mb, and I ran CleanUp3, bringing it down to 75Mb, but I have to assume the remaining bloating is due to imported components…?
Is there a way of seeing how much a particular component ‘costs’ in terms of file size, other than the number of edges and faces in the component window?
Also, if you find that a particular component is ‘heavy’, is there an easy way to slim it down, or is it just a matter of opening it up and guessing/ deleting stuff?!

Did you also check the textures w/ Material Resizer and/or Goldilocks? Often file size bloat comes from too large textures.

No, but I’ll give it a go, and let you know the results. Thanks

Natively, you can see statistics in the component browser, but CADman has a 3D Warehouse-check-extension that does the same in his own (floating ) panel

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/3d-warehouse-tools

Yes, but does the number of faces and edges necessarily tell you how much that component will affect your model file size?
When you look at a component in the 3d Warehouse or in Podium Browser, it tells you the file size. I suppose I’m saying that it would be helpful if you could still see that info after you’ve placed the component in your model

When I talk about that cost, Paul, I’m talking about a number of things. Often we see components that have way more detail added than they need for the way they will be used. This is common in components such as kitchen appliances from the 3D Warehouse, for example. A refrigerator component used in a model of a kitchen doesn’t need the interior racks and drawers nor does it need the compressor and heat exchanger but there are some refrigerator components out there that include those things. There are probably things in your own modeling that might stand to be simplified, too. You just have to think about how the model will be used.

Here’s an example from something I did recently. The screw threads, roller chain, and sprockets are pretty highly detailed because those parts will show in close up views in the plans. If the vise was being shown in use on a workbench and is shown from a distance, I would eliinate those parts altogether because they wouldn’t be needed.

You’ll often see the suggestion to open components you get from the 3D Warehouse in a separate file so you can check them out and clean them up to improve their efficiency.

As has been mentioned, excessively large texture images can also add to file bloat. It might seem like a good idea to add extremely high res images as textures but SketchUp samples them and reduces them so you won’t see the high res image anyway. No point in loading the file up with the huge image.

Others have already listed some options for sorting out how big components are and how to fix them so I won’t repeat that stuff.

Filesize ‘an sich’ has not as much impact on performance as the number of faces and edges, actually, try dividing a line in 10 000 000 edges in an empty file…