Faces come and go

Very likely, but I have an immediate need for a few individual rooms and attics, for example, so I’m getting what I need for them right now, and I have hopes that I can merge them all together in one drawing later on. It’s simple, conceptually, but I suspect several devils in the details.

Just discovered Chopra’s videos. Wow – there goes my weekend.

Hi Mikey, I was reading your thread here (having had similar problems) and wanted to ask you what tool you used to draw the hatched lines on your plans?

Cheers,

Alan

I use an extension, “VS Dotted Line”. See:
https://sketchuphub.com/forums/topic/creating-dashed-lines-with-vs-dotted-line/

Only problem seems to be that after making the line dashed, the “lineness” goes away – e.g., a face bounded by the line goes away. It might be possible to draw another line that isn’t visible in the same location to define the edge, but I’m not up to Sketchup 101 levels yet.

Odd that such a simple function isn’t built in to Sketchup.

The extension converts a longer edge into a series of short edges with gaps between them. The gaps prevent a face from forming. You can try drawing another edge, but unless you put it in a different context (group or component) I think it will merge with the short edges since they overlay. You would then need to hide the pieces that span the gaps.

Line styles is a frequent feature request in SketchUp. You can search the forum to see past arguments for and against. In a nutshell, it comes down to geometry versus annotation.

Many thanks Mike. it is purely to draw permanent ‘guide lines’ on some surface. I will give it a try…

All the best

Alan.

Annotation is pretty important on an architectural drawing…

And annotated ‘Drawings’ are produced in Layout from the ‘Models’ produced in Sketchup.

2 Likes

Easy enough to deal with. Hide the edge in the group or component and lay a dashed line over it.

1 Like

Yes, I have layout in my 2017 pro package , but it is a easier sometimes (for a quick reference drawing) to add a hatched line before having to export and set it up in layout, which frankly, is far from a perfect system…Way too complicated…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.