Extremely disappointed with Sketchup 2018

Wow, I can’t believe the difference between the two.Just upgraded to 2018. All I get now is spinning beach ball. I swear your programmers are getting paid by the Intel to force ups to buy new equipment! Extremely disappointed this has happened so many times in the past I thought Trimble would consider the users? Not all of us are making boatloads of cash with this program but since At Last you seem to want boat loads to upgrade as well.Unbelievable!!

1 Like

If you finish filling out your system info for your forum profile, we might be able to solve this thing.

My guess is that your system is new enough to handle 2018, or else you wouldn’t have been able to install OSX 10.12.6 on it.

Something else could be at play here. but we’ll need more info about the details of your system, and how your installation went. and ultimately a bit of participation in trying to troubleshoot this on your end as well.

But of course, far be it for me to talk a guy down from the glorious heights of a soap box rant—where the air is clean, and visibility runs far.

6 Likes

I’m a bit confused what you are disappointed by. Did you expect more features or does your computer not support 2018 well? You are not forced to update. Unless you are interested in the new features and performance gains, or in case your computer doesn’t support the new version you can stick to using an older one. However, in most cases I would recommend to update.

JimD: No soapbox but let’s face it Adobe sets the standard for software.
Obviously, you never have to worry about income or deadlines. I have
included my computer specifications and no it is not a 12 Core with 500 GBs
many of you can afford. Sorry.
I have worked with Sketchup since it was AtLast software I believe in the
beginning. My point being you the programmers of which you may be one,
should strive for a level of speed that works with basic computers to high
end. Primarily with ease and stability.
I do not load it down with all kinds of extensions and plugins just make
sure it runs as quickly as possible.
Thanks for responding.
Steve

Ms. Eneroth; Adobe sets the standard for graphics software ease of use. I
have included my computer specifications and no it is not a 12 Core with
500 GBs many of you can afford. Sorry.
I have worked with Sketchup since it was AtLast software I believe in the
beginning. My point being the programmers, should strive for a level of
speed that works with basic computers to high end. Primarily with ease and
stability.
I do not load it down with all kinds of extensions and plugins just make
sure it runs as quickly as possible.
Thanks for responding.
Steve

So that is why Adobe software is so difficult to use, full of sliders controlling obscure technical terms no one understands. Please explain Gaussian blur to me, in 5 words, please. Why is mr. Gauss in it?

BTW, SketchUp is not graphics software. It is for creating 3D models. That is why it is demanding on hardware. I have been using it since very early times, and its performance has been steadily improving. Today people build models with hundreds of thousands of edges and faces that would have been impossible to run in version 2 or 3, the ones I started with.

1 Like

Hello @stephenerugg,

It is redundant and not necessary to repeat your posts to bring information to different respondents. Making a statement only once is sufficient as every reader has the opportunity to review and/or react. It will be appreciated if you adhere to this guide as you submit posts going forward.

As was pointed out by another user, you can increase the potential for realizing a means to resolve your disappointment if you offer a clear description of what is being encountered. It is always helpful to include the relevant skp file, as well.

If you make a reasonable effort to investigate the suggestions that will be presented in response to well articulated inquiries, your level of satisfaction should improve.

1 Like

I disagree with your statement about new software having to be responsible for old hardware. I know it sucks but we have to accept it and move on.

Evolution can be cruel!

2 Likes

Mr. Anssi; I started in 1986 with Adobe Illustrator. It is all second nature along with Photoshop, Page Maker .and Indesign. I spent 25+ years doing an architectural illustration with paintbrush and airbrush. You can imagine my enthusiasm when I discovered Sketchup, I can’t tell you how many years ago that was but I referred to it as Adobe Illustrator on steroids and introduced it to Disney Sign Dept. I do not, even today limit myself to one program, wish that were possible. Yes, I use Sketchup to make a living, novel idea. I know many adimit that they use this as a hobby I am sorry but that is not my case at all. I need to be productive. I believe Architect Nick Saunders has moved Sketchup into a new level that most would have never dreamed it could accomplish. Hats off to him for utilizing it to the extent it is profitable for his company. Thanks for responding to my needs I appreciate your time.

I beg to differ, a good share of the people in this forum are not rich and a bunch are retired on fixed incomes. You seem to have a funny view of the world.

??? Say What??? I was just asking if anyone was experiencing the same thing? It just seemed wierd that I do the upgrade and get a spinning ball doing minor work in Sketchup? I am not trying to offend the group? The only way that would happen is if your one of the programmers??

Have you installed the software correctly? Have you installed all of available MacOS updates? Thousands of users ( I do not work for Trimble so I haven’t the faintest idea how many, actually) are using SketchUp successfully on the Mac so my guess is that something is amiss at your end. Your system exceeds the power of my computers and I haven’t got any new performance issues since upgrading to v. 2018.

While SketchUp performance has improved since the early days. it remains important to model smartly. A bloated model cannot be corrected by investing heavily in computer hardware, be it PC or MAC. Despite all the things the developers have managed to do, 3D modelling applications remain dependent on a single processing thread.

2 Likes

Anssi, yes, I have as far as I can tell everything is loaded and set up
like 2017 which I did not have a problem with as far as the Spinning beach
ball. I try and maintain simplicity in my models for obvious reasons.

If I were to hazard a guess - it’s likely a result of your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950. That’s not standard Apple fair these days - I’d check up on NVIDIA’s latest mac drivers and see if that clears things up.

Also maybe toggle hardware acceleration on or off? That has caused me grief in the past.

You can’t toggle that anymore.

Thanks, I will look into it. It worked very well 2ith 2017 version

As a last resort - I’d recommend upgrading up to High Sierra. It will ensure you have the latest version of OpenGL and other drivers on your system.

Or you could just downgrade SketchUp over at:

If you do update to High Sierra you are given an option of changing the drive format to APFS. That works fine with SketchUp, but doesn’t work ok with all applications. I don’t know how you can easily check if all of your important applications are going to work ok, other than asking in each one’s forum.

If you do opt for APFS, and something doesn’t work, you have to reformat your drive to sort it out. So, make sure you have a good backup before doing an update, just in case.

If you upgrade to High Sierra and choose APFS, make sure to accept the default case-insensitive version. DO NOT choose case-sensitive, as it is known to cause compatibility issues with SketchUp as well as other apps.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina (which I believe is older and “feebler” than your iMac) running SketchUp 2018 on High Sierra 10.13.3 without the sort of freeze-on-launch issue you see. I seriously doubt the problem is with your hardware or macOS version.

What plugins/extensions have you installed, and how did you install them? You should always download new versions when you upgrade SketchUp, else compatibility issues can result. If you just copied the files from 2017 you are at risk! Both the Extension Warehouse and SketchUcation plugin store have features to help you get the latest versions of everything you installed on the previous SketchUp.

3 Likes

Maybe you should send me your system and I will check it out to see what’s wrong with it. I am sure I can get it all working just fine.

P.S. is that a real or a real-dead skunk on your head?