Extensions wiped out by Pro 2022 upgrade

Thank you Dave, I will reboot and report back. I have not shutdown/restarted my computer since I downloaded/installed 2022 Pro. Right now, all my models are opening in 2021 whether I right-click and open or double click.

Did you install SU2022 correctly?

You’d be surprised what one can do with native SketchUp.:wink:

I can’t imagine how SU could reel in and unethically do what you are asking for. I’ve always said, extensions should be selected carefully, after you fully understand SketchUp native tools. Then you can assess them properly. People new to SketchUp who overload their extension folders and rely on them solely are in for disappointment.

5 Likes

@DaveR

Sometimes I do forget the ‘right click’ so I can’t say for certain that I installed it correctly originally. Here are the steps I have taken, in order:

Simple Restart—no change.

Shutdown and Restart—no change.

Right click on the installer, Run as Administrator, Choose ‘Repair’ since it is already installed—no change.

Shutdown and Restart again—no change.

If there are no other suggestions, once I have 2022 set up ready to go, I’ll uninstall 2021. That should fix it.

This question comes up again with every new version of SketchUp. There are several good reasons why it has always been done this way:

• Sometimes a new version of SketchUp also embeds a new version of Ruby, and changes to Ruby can cause old extensions to break until the author repairs them.
  • Often a new version of SketchUp includes a new version of the Ruby API that extensions use, and the API revision might break extensions until the author adapts them.
  • Extensions that contain compiled C code often need to be recompiled for a new version of SketchUp.
  • Trimble has no control over extensions that are not hosted in the Extension Warehouse. A great many are from other sources, including sites such as SketchUcation and also vendors’ websites. Though maybe a mechanism to remember where you got each extension could be created and all suppliers could be required to offer a web site that could be probed to check for version compatibility, there is currently no such facility.

So, the bottom line is that unless you install fresh copies after upgrading SketchUp to a new version, there is no way to guarantee that your old extensions will still run correctly.

@Sonder

I come from a CAD oriented world, and one thing I know for certain is that it is critical to know how to use drawing tools correctly. Extensions and Plugins should enhance and speed up the experience, not cause me to pull my hair out.

But, since you imply that I have perhaps downloaded scads of extensions without first having put in the requisite time necessary to learn the basics, let me say that I am not whatsoever guilty of that. When I say it’s time for ‘housekeeping’ I mean it’s time to get rid of six of the twelve extensions I’ve downloaded, that’s how basic my needs are. Solid Inspector, Zoom Through, a Layer Visibility manager and a couple of Scene managers are about all I need. Thanks to Aaron, I can model anything. If it takes me a week to do it, fine. I’m retired, and I like a challenge.

Ethically? Maybe Trimble should just purchase basic extensions–is it unethical to say to Fredo, hey, we would like users to be able to round corners easily…would you like to sell us your awesome extension ‘Fredo Corner?’ I model my own corners, but it takes time. I think Trimble should start taking their software more seriously if they truly expect to compete with CAD. There is a giant moat around AutoCAD; good luck breaching it this way.

With that said, thanks to Aaron and his marvelous videos which I watch for the shear enjoyment of it. I have learned a lot, and I can model anything I need to model with native tools, thanks to him. It may take me a while, but like I said, I’m retired.

1 Like

Hey everyone, my best piece of advice for this problem (what this post was originally about) would be to install the Fredo LOTT plugin.

In my experience, LOTT is the best way to manage your plugins. Since downloading LOTT, I haven’t looked back, and with a 150 plugins or so, my sketchup model is a blank cleaned up screen now with no plugins blocking my screens’ modeling view, I can quickly access the plugins I need with LOTT and my sketchup models load in about 1 minute instead of 5 at startup. I also never have to worry about reorganizing when a new major version of Sketchup comes out.

I was responding to your comment that “native tools are not enough”…enough for what? I mainly use native tools and produce very detailed sets of construction documents far faster than can be done in acad.

My next comment was a general comment about people loading too many plug-ins without clearly understanding their needs.

My apologies if you took that part personally. That was not the intention.

2 Likes

Since reading many of these posts, I did some experimenting, and I believe the solution is very simple. In Windows, you open up two separate windows; one window for the 2022 plugins; and one window for 2021 plugins. For any given extension, you’ll find a folder for that extension, and attending “*.rb” for that extension. Copy both from the 2021 window to the 2022 window. It works perfectly. While I’m trying to run lean, and didn’t want most of the 2021 extensions, I have to assume you can copy everything over in one shot. I have to wonder why this has not occurred to the Sketchup team.

I’m sure the SketchUp team has known about that for a long time.

This is great if your extensions are up to date and the Ruby version doesn’t require the extension to be revised. Not all extensions can be installed by simply copying them into the new Plugins folder. Some require a proper installation.

If users could be forced to keep their extensions up to date AND extension authors could be forced to update their extensions when updates are required, it would be a different story.

3 Likes

And Dave and I and many others have spent years helping people to track down the myriad load errors that arise from this. Yes you can do it, but don’t expect it to go without hiccups.

2 Likes

Good points. Many extensions won’t work with the latest version. However, from a programming standpoint, it is possible to automate all of this. I have a close friend who is a rather remarkable software developer, so I’ve been exposed to the fundamentals of this stuff. It comes down to how much effort the developers want to put into their products. Some things are very difficult, and not worth the effort, from the standpoint of cost effectiveness.

It also comes down to how much users will tolerate being forced to keep their extensions up to date and how much extension authors who voluntarily and freely share extensions will tolerate being forced to publish updates. I can think of a number of extension authors who either quit updating their scripts or removed them entirely because they didn’t want to be forced to support scripts that they were not getting paid to produce.

How do you propose to get users to continually update their installed extensions? Your profile says you’re still using SketchUp version 21.0.391 which was replaced three times before 2022 came out.

1 Like

I think it would be more a matter of the software checking for update status, and only updating a new version with extensions that would work. Also, notifying users with a list of extensions that need to be updated, or that simply will not work with a new version. Then it would be up to the user to act accordingly.

1 Like

This is one of those things that… the devs probably had a very good reason not to implement the transfer years back. Dave and Box are speaking from experience. You should listen.

1 Like

One complication you are overlooking is that not all extensions come from the EW, and the ones that come from other sources contain no record of where they are from. Further, without requiring all possible sources to implement a uniform web interface for clients to automatically download updated versions, there is no simple way to fetch them. It is all one-by-one ad hoc.

1 Like

Now you’re down to the basic problem. Trimble needs to have a set of standards for extension developers to adhere to. Then everything else becomes very easy. Without standardization, you have what we have. Where would this country be without a bureau of standards? There is no reason Trimble can have rules to follow.

The one set of standards you’re asking for is that plugins be updated every time there’s a new revision or else–I guess, they would be kicked out on the update, or otherwise Trimble has to deal with every complaint.

I could imagine where a plugin developer did not have the time or maybe the inclination to update. And (like it or not) you cannot even try to use that plugin. And would all the scripts people write for themselves be subjected to these “rules”.

We probably would not have the plugins we do today with a system like this. And it’s likely Trimble is not interested in taking on the expense of being responsible for every plugin in this way.

3 Likes

Hey Box, can you stay signed in to both SU21 and SU22 at the same time? I thought you had to sign out of 21 first…

Once you’re signed in, you can run the same model in both 2021 and 2022 at the same time.