[Extension] KG-dev CADoptimus - Time Tracker - Track Time and Metrics while modelling

Hi,

I love data, especially derived data that gives you insight in a specific activity. As a coder I enjoy watching the charts on github that gives me metrics on my coding activity. Examples are activity graphs that show you how active you were on a specific calendar day:

(https://help.github.com/assets/images/help/profile/contributions_graph.png)

Other charts give you insight in how your code has grown or shrunken and who worked on the code:

(https://github-images.s3.amazonaws.com/enterprise/2.13/assets/images/help/graphs/repo_contributors_specific_graph.png)

This got me thinking to project this kind of insight on modelling activities and I started a new Extension: Time Tracker. It is not even close to being released, but I was willing to share with you this idea and hopefully learn what kind of metrics are imported for you, as a designer. Currently I am able to track “activity”: open, save, do, undo and redo. With that, I can also track for each activity some metrics like various model size metrics, the name of the logged in user, the pc, …

An image showing a very early development containing a total tracked time as well as a daily activity heatmap

I was wondering if anyone was interested in tracking time and metrics, and if so, which metrics?

1 Like

On my old job it would have been useful to tell how many hours I worked on a particular project during a week. We needed this for invoicing. Each project would have its own directory - which could be used to automatically identify projects.
Then within each project it could be useful to see how much time was spent on each model.

1 Like

I see this could even be a separate app, running outside of sketchup, using the sdk to crawl data out of all .skp’ies on your system, and even pushing it eventually to your time tracking tool. I for example use toggl.

Other then time, are there other metrics that could be interesting? Added/deleted geometry count/day? Do vs undo vs redo/day?

For general curiosity or as metric that would actually be used for something?

I could imagine having a model open for 8 hours (even if you take idle time into account), says less then having added 10k faces on a day. I’m not sure either what could be helpful for designers.

Counting faces seems to me to as similar to counting lines of code - not a good metric for productivity or “work”.

But it could be useful to measure model complexity. Could be useful to gauge how complex/heavy models are and how they evolve.

That is true.

And this is also true.
The first metric I logged was model.number_faces exactly for this reason, to see how the complexity evolves through time.

1 Like

Though it might give some insight on the activity and even on a certain kind of activity, chances are that when, for instance, the ‘value’ is calculated by volume (model only solids!) one might add a giant (hidden) cube to compensate.
Point is, while one designer has spent numerous days and weeks accurately modelling the most detailed model for a proposal, another designer could just spent half a hour on a perfect composition and colorscheme in a design stage that would get him the $40,000 contract.
Statistics in the hands of beancounters can give a distorted view of reality😃

What I understand is thus that, other than time, there is nothing valuable to monitor according to you?

In regard to this article I believe that a DO vs UNDO vs REDO could give a valid idea of how productive a day was. One can work all day drawing things, if in the end all that gets drawn is being ctrlz’d, that was a very unproductive day.

1 Like

No - that’s part of the design process.

One cannot measure time designing something in the same way as you’d measure time on the assembly line.

1 Like

I see.
It is for this kind of critic feedback that I asked it in the first place.

I think i will focus on some other products for now.

This sounds a lot like SUClock ( https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=SUClock ), which already does pretty much everything you seem to be suggesting. Or am I misunderstanding what you were intending?

Well, in that case it is even better I decided to focus on some other products, for now.