[Extension] Add "Generate Report" button to Dynamic Components toolbar

[Extension] Add “Generate Report” button to Dynamic Components toolbar

ver 1.0.0

All this little extension does is add a button for the current command to the existing Dynamic Components toolbar. Nothing more.

The SVG icons for “Generate Report” were cobbled together from native icons using a page polygon from “tb_copy.svg” and the DC logo from “manager_tool.svg” (scaled smaller & centered on the page icon.)

• I don’t know how the PDF copies of the icons will look on the Mac.
    EDIT: Nab says they look Okay on Mac.

Likely this is of little use to those running SketchUp versions prior to 2022 as Generate Report has been switched off for older versions.

This might serve to allow users to avoid assigning a keyboard shortcut for the Generate Report command, leaving such keychord for some other use.

In the event that the Dynamic Components extension is updated in the future to natively add the Generate Report button to its toolbar, this extension should output a notice to the console and switch itself off in the Extension Manager.

I tested that it loads (and adds the toolbar button) on MS Windows back to SU 2017 Pro, although (of course) the online reporter interface only works (currently) for versions 2022 onwards.

What this extension does NOT do:

• Will not modify the behavior of the Dynamic Components extension.

• Will not reimplement the Generate Report dialog for old versions for which it has been switched off.

• Will not modify the current “Generate Report” command in any way, such as redirecting towards the offline report generator. (Sorry people. You’ll just have to keep unplugging your network cables, etc., to do this.)

The registrar preamble …

#{-------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Adds a "Generate Report" button to the existing Dynamic Components toolbar.
#
# This extension may load under SketchUp 2014+ and Ruby 2.0+ ONLY.
# NOTICE: Not tested under any version older than SketchUp 2017.
#
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Copyright : 2024 - SketchUp Developer Community
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for 
# any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
# copyright notice appear in all copies.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
#
#}-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The signed RBZ …

You must restart SketchUp after installing, as it must load before Dynamic Components.

:nerd_face:

1 Like

Capture d’écran 2024-05-25 à 10.43.52

they look fine I’d say :slight_smile:
granted I’m not using a 4K high retina 300dpi screen, but it looks like the other ones

1 Like

Thanks, Nab. It looks like it is supposed to.

(EDIT: Ie, “supposed to” for post 23.1 icons. The extension also has pre-23.1 colored icons, but they will show if the DC extension is 1.8.2 or lower. DC ver 1.8.3 or higher will always show the new “Trimble blue” icons.)

All I did was Save As… PDF from InkScape, with all default settings.

1 Like