Exporting to DWG

Ok. so…I was able to export the docuemtns from layout by changineg the render from raster to vector… but ive been told that they are unable to be edited by the contractos, the structural engineer , in order to draw in his work. Does anyone know if this is true…?.. It doesnt make sense to me… and I have no way of checking this myself.

Are you wanting to send your collaborators a 3D or 2D drawing that they can move objects around on? Not just make notes on top of. I’m guessing they are editing in autocad by their desire to have a .dwg. If you want to send them an actual collection of mapped geometry that can be changed you will need to export the original file from Sketchup. Layout is a flattened image of your model, like sending them a camera picture, not the model itself.

1 Like

yeah… they want to be able to edit the 2d drawing (1st floor plan, for example), in order to include their work, structural, into the same drawing… or be able to use the drawing wthut having to draw everything again.

Ok, then you need to export from sketchup, forget about layout. Go back to file>export>3D make sure .dwg is selected in the pop up dialogue box. Then export and let’s see what happens next.

1 Like

Hi thanks you… The problem is that in sketchup the draqeing doesnt have any info, dimensiones…the axis lines and numbering etc…

@dmey read: Importing and Exporting CAD Files | SketchUp Help Sepcifically see the table on supported and unsupported CAD elements.

1 Like

yeah… that sucks because there is no way of exporting a complete drawing to autocad and have it be editable…

Well, you can export from LayOut. Add dimensions and other text entities there instead of in SketchUp.

1 Like

yes… but then that file is not editable… its just an image they can see… but they cant use it as a drawing…at least thats what Ive understood…

Export it as a DXF or DWG.

Out of curiosity I have just completed a dwg transfer from sketchup(6pro) to ACAD LT 2006 with no problems. All elements ie the plan including some 3D warehouse cafe tables,chairs and fridge were successfully ported over and were editable in acad. The SU drawing was first put into parallel projection mode and overhead view.before exporting 3d autocad dwg. The file size was initially 5 megs when first exported as .dwg file from SU. I then opened this in acad and saved it to produce a file size of 2 megs. Could it be that a VERY large Mb file size might cause problems? Just a thought.

Use Vector rendering.
From SketchUp, dimensions get exported quite OK. You are maybe confusing export with import. The DWG importer only supports model geometry.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.