Exporting images from SketchUp Shop and importing into Google Earth Pro

Great. Thanks. How long does it typically take for an image to finish as it now says it’s in progress?

I am not sure, do you mean to load into Google Earth? It will depend on your computer, how complex the model is and also internet connection.

It’s so different for everybody not easy to say I am afraid but should not be too long.

My images are just sitting in the Import/Export window as seen in this screenshot

Nevermind! They all just went through… thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

How do I now place my 3D image in google earth pro in the exact spot I need it to be? Every time I open it, it goes somewhere off in space

Did you follow all of the steps in the link I shared? You specify the co-ordinates in SketchUp before you export.

I’m working through those steps but every time I try to enter my coordinates from Google Earth into SketchUp Shop a window pops up that says, “an embedded page at geolocation.sketchup.com says Sorry, no matches”

I’m now stumped

What is the location?

Looking to Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta

53°32’29.20" N 113°29’13.85" W

You will probably need to navigate to it manually or try with a street address. After finding out where it was while looking at GE, I navigated manually in the Add Location feature in SU2018 to get this.

The version I’m using only shows this style of map which doesn’t help with specific location… Any help on how can I change this view? It doesn’t give me an option that I can see anyways.

Are you using SketchUp Free or SketchUp Shop?

I haven’t used SketchUp Shop but it could be that it is limited to Maps only in the Add Location feature. SketchUp Pro provides imagery.

Still, since you are going to open the exported KMZ file in Google Earth, you really don’t need the imagery from Digital Globe. The map image should be enough to get your model geo-located.

I purchased SketchUp Shop and every time I go to open it, it opens in my web browser. From there it seems to be the most basic SketchUp version (free version) so I’m really struggling to figure out what’s going on with my original purchase.

You’re right

Since you can export KMZ files, I would expect you’re using SketchUp Shop.

If you really need the imagery and other capabilities, you should probably switch to SketchUp Pro.

The license fee is the issue… but thanks for the suggestion.

@Adriane_Winge

As long as you incorporated the Add Location feature in Shop to your model, the KMZ export will inherit the geolocation for Google Earth to use.

Now that you have your KMZ, all you have to do is open Google Earth and go to File>Open … and select your KMZ.

The model should load in the location you had in Shop.
If you need to modify the location, you can do this in Google Earth!!

1. Extend the kmz model project in the “Places” tree window. Right click on the “model” and select the Get Info option
  2. You will now see the Edit Model pane and you are able to change the location in the XY by simply dragging the Green bound box marker. You can also change the Z by modifying the Altitude values in the Edit Model pane.

Once you have made any positioning correction, to save, right click on the project and select “Save Place As…” and save it out as a KMZ

GE_mod

I hope this helps

CD

3 Likes

Be sure that you have assigned yourself with the entitlement for Shop. During the purchasing process, this should have been the default but one might have accidentally changed it. If this is the case, the SHOP entitlement (license) has yet to be assigned.

You can get to your account by going through SU Web application

Once you are in the license management area, find the shop subscription and click on the big “+” icon. It looks similar to the Free. In fact, you should have a subscription for both listed

After you click the “+” you will see if and to whom the SHOP license was assigned.

CD

This was very helpful. Thank you!!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.