Export 2D PDF of Surfaces - Not Faces

In export my Sketchup scenes to PDF (vector), I would like to export a scene with faces connected as one object, instead of each face/piece of geometry being it’s own object. For example, to export a car tire that is one object (because lines are hidden) as a single vector object instead of it exporting as dozens of individual triangulated faces. Does anyone know of an extension or other method for exporting a Sketchup model this way?

In scouring the Sketchup Forums, I cannot figure out if this is even feasible in Sketchup, given how the export engine is built. My colleagues and I would use this kind of .pdf export constantly, if available, as it would save us hours of work each day. If it is technically possible, but not a feature, I’ll submit it as a feature request.

I wonder if Illustrator or some other software like that can combine fill objects.

Why not export the PDF from LayOut?

Share an example file of what you are working with.

I don’t think it is feasible. The only options you have are

• choosing hidden line style before you export, you’ll get a vector export without the fillings. You can then use the dynamic paint bucket tool in illustrator to recreates those fillings
  • exporting from layout picking hybrid render in sketchup model panel. You’ll get the lines as vectors and a rasterized image for colors/textures (meaning they won’t be editable).

Illustrator certainly can. Our currently workflow takes the .pdf export from Sketchup and combines the faces with the same material in Illustrator. However, this creates an additional step and adds a lot of time to get right (sometimes objects in Sketchup are the same material, but we do not want them to be combined as one shape - e.g. car door and car hood should be two separate shapes, but the same material).

I suggest to just reassign this topic to the Feature Request category.

See attached image. Ideally, the .pdf export from Sketchup would export faces as one object, not as separate triangulated faces that then need to be combined in a separate program. I understand this would be complicated by any shading, which is perhaps why this type of export may not be technically feasible.

Thanks, Dan. That is what I’ve done.

I seem to have the power to change it, so I did.

1 Like

In doing a bit more research, it seems like what I’m asking here is for a PDF export of “surfaces” and not “faces.” From what I understand, there is no reference in the API to identify “surfaces” in same way one can do so with faces.

Do you think it’s feasible to somehow identify the “surfaces” of a viewport and then export a PDF of these surfaces?