Exploring different ways to get started with Sketchup

I currently use Autodesk Revit 2016 to model floorplans. Now I am switching to Sketchup in order to get better renderings. How do I work off a floorplan in Sketchup? I watched a video on it, but no sign of how to turn on and off floor plan modes. Any advice?

1 Like

Have you looked into what SU offers with layers and scenes? It may just be me, but can you explain further as to what you need to do. It leaves one to guest at an answer. The below links may shed some insight on what these features offer you. Or options for controlling visibilities of the floor plans content. …Peace…

There is no such thing in SketchUp as “floor plan modes”. That is to say, there is no setting that somehow restricts or specializes SketchUp for floor plans. Rather, a floor plan is just a model of a building viewed in a particular way. There are some tools, such as section cuts, extensions such as Section Cut Face and Skalp that help generate scenes that view a model in ways that architects favor.

First off, welcome to the forums! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. These forums are a place to learn and grow your skills. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Now, on to your question. I am not sure that I understand your question here. Can you provide a link to the video that you are referring to? Based off the information in your post, you could mean several different things, I want to make sure I get you the right information. If you are unable to provide a link to the video, can you post a few screenshots of what you have right now and what you want it to look like?

Revit has a somewhat capable rendering module built in whereas SketchUp has none, so to get better renderings than what Revit can achieve you must get an external rendering package or plugin whether you build your models in Revit or SketchUp. Even your rendering engine options tend to be the same for both.

Anssi

Also see, Houses Second Floor