Eneroth Layer Usage Inspector - What is <<Model Root>>?

I’m really sick of the Mac version bug that keeps loosing my layer names to keyboard shortcuts. I trying to use this extension to figure out what layer “r” was supposed to be in the first place and, all that’s there is <>. So what is that? The top of the model outline level somehow on a layer?

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 6.13.43 PM

SketchUp layers are not geometric. They do not “own” entities collections.
Entities have a property that points at a layer/tag. (Ie, an entity can be “tagged”.)

So this dialog is likely telling you that an entity (or entities) owned by the model’s (toplevel) entities collection are referencing (ie, using for display behavior) the layer/tag named “r”.

This is the first thing I’ve read that makes me understand the use of the term TAG for a collection of objects used to control visibility. Formally known as layers.

Oh well we’ve been preachin’ this for years, … every time a new user has problems with layers (now tags) and visibility of objects.

1 Like

“Display Collection Tag” might be more self explanatory, but just Tag is shorter. It’s a mutually exclusive tag (at least for now). Something can be tagged “Alpha” or “Bravo” but not both. It can, however, be “none.” (Layer0 or Untagged) I get how it works.

This dialog seems to say, “The set of all things tagged “r” is not empty,” without telling you more than that. If it really is empty you get this:
Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 10.56.15 PM

It only seems to read more when nested groups have subgroups that anything other than Model Root is offered up.
Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.30.46 PM

It seems that if “Test Component” doesn’t have a nested object within it with another tag, it won’t show up at all in this dialog.

Looking at that last image, I’d have to say that “<<MODEL ROOT>>” means there are primitives (edges, faces,arcs,curves) that use layer/tag “Test 7” in the model’s toplevel entities, as well as the “Test Component” instance using this layer/tag.

“<<>>” is to easier separate this special phrase from names taken from the model. This plugin was a quite simple little script I made to clean up imported components, and a better solution would be to phrase the other entries as “Group (<name>)” and “Component (<name>)”, with this entry simply being called “Model Root” or “Model Top”.

What I would really like to debug the layers/tags on a model is something like we have in PowerCADD which is the ability to turn off all but the current layer, and with one click of an up or down arrow, step through the visibility of each layer one at a time so you can actually see what’s on each layer.

You can kind of do this in the Tag inspector. However,if you have any groups/components not being tagged you’ll likely end up with a lot of things visible, and if you hide Untagged you’ll likely end up with no visible geometry at all. Tags being model-wide “classes” or “collections” independent of the hierarchy makes isolating them a bit trickier.