Drive contents migration

So, technically, this isn’t a technical problem, yet.

It seems to be time to upgrade my installs (c:) drive. I’m thinking of replacing my current M.2 512GB Samsung 860 Pro with a M.2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus. (Mainboard only PCIE 3.0 compliant, so no use in going for the latest and greatest stuff).

So it seems as though it is possible to migrate the SSD image from one drive to the other. Question is this, how will doing this influence / affect my SketchUp Pro installation? Same question for the extensions that require serials / activations.

3 … 2 … 1 … GO!

It’s been awhile since I did a migration but as I remember it was painless. When I migrated the C drive, the migration software automatically took care of everything and I didn’t have any problems with any applications already installed. I was skeptical when I started but it was no big deal.

1 Like

The ‘classic’ license is automatically tiered to the LAN adapter’s Mac Address which is usually part of the motherboard. I would remove the current active license though, you never know what happens when you start messing around, you might decide to get a new Motherboard as well.

1 Like

I have tried to test this, and as best I can tell, on Windows if any of the physical addresses that were there when SketchUp was activated, are still there, then the license will be seem to be good.

On Mac there is usually only one MAC address, and it comes from the Ethernet Cards list. A logic board change on a Mac is likely to seem like a new computer. On Windows I’m not sure, but if all of the physical address devices are part of the motherboard, you would get the same problem.

Removing the license and adding it back in, for your currently latest used version, is easy enough that you might as well do that, to be safe. It’s a bigger problem if you have older versions, you won’t be able to activate those on a new computer, so you don’t have a choice but to hope that the license still works.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. It’s a laptop, so changing the motherboard isn’t on the cards. :+1:

Thanks for the feedback Colin. The change is not necessitated by a breakdown so I’ll give it a try and keep the original as a fall back option. I’ll decide on what to do with the drive once I see everything is all fine and dandy.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.