Downloaded Issues

Sorry I have may mislead you. The graphics card is option for your machine but what you posted above seems to indicate it is not installed. This is what I suggested to find out •Also, what display adapter do you have? (Start, control panel, system then select device manger) the display adapter should show what you have. If you have a graphics card you may need to force use of it in the BIOS settings or it may show in your control panel wherein can be set. IHMO you do not have to have a graphics card to run SU it just may run slow. Almost all manufactures have apps you can run and they will audit your machine and tell you if an update is available. DEL has that and you should do that. I had logged on to the DEL site and is where I got the update date I cited above.
I was concerned you would not have restore points before the problem occurred but thought it was worth a check.
A HD crash has the potential of corruption of any files you had stored on your PC so make sure you are either downloading form a know site or using files you are sure are good say like ones that were on CD not on PC during crash.
No you have anti virus and fire wall software running.?
I am skeptical about the virus issue and how do you know you have a virus??
I still have the question. Could you run SU 2015 before the crash??
Here is link to DEL support, supply info and run the auto delect http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

mac7595
I did take my lap in to the repairman and - No I did not have a virus but I did have a ton of mallware on it which he removed. That problem solved. I did ask him to see what he could do in regard to SU and to determine for sure what my graphics manager was. He told me that I did not have a graphics card but that my graphics manager was incorportated in the mother board and it is Intel and not an ATI. Secondly, he went to dell to look for any updates and there are none since my computer was produced - my graphics interface is up to date.
This leads me to this: He suggested that my system may not be compatible with SU 2015 - that I may need an older version of SU for me to use it. That may answer your last question to me which was “Could you run SU 2015 before the crash?” = AND THE ANSWER IS NO I never ran that version prior to my HD crash since I believe all along before - I had SU 08 (I believe that is right?)
So it is possible that this system will never operate or use the new version of SU? Perhaps you have run into this before? And, if so, are there software upgrades I can load to facilitate that OR (and rather) - Is there an option for me to load an older version of SU?

marc,

Thanks for you assistance. mac7595 has been trying to help me solve this issue for a while and I just wrote him informing him where I am to date. I appreciate all he as done so far in dealing with this as I do you.

I had my lap in at my local comp. repairman and I found out I don’t have a ATI card nor any card but rather a graphics interface integrated on the mother board and it is Intel. Whether I’ve actually stated this correctly is questionable but I do have Intel hardware as my graphics device. Now, whether or not I have “aticfx64” drivers involved - I don’t know?
The repairman suggested that perhaps my system is actually too old to use this new version of SU? As I told mac in another reply I just sent him - I had never actually used SU 15 before I had my hard drive fail in Oct 14. Before, on the old hd I had an earlier version of SU which I think was SU 8 ?? It was when I got my new HD and lap back that I uploaded the newest version of SU and have never been able to access it sinice. So - this may be my problem and it may be that this system will never run the new version of SU, and that I may need to upload an older version instead?
Perhaps others have encountered this problem as I, and if so, is there a “patch” to the software that would make it compatible with a system such as mine?
Also, you mentioned that I may have ATI drivers in use? Is that possible when I have Intel graphics hardware on my motherboard? Is so - I’m not sure where to go to do as you suggested in order to access the ATI conf. utility??

Thanks again, Bill

marc,
I went to device manager and to “display adaptor” which is the Intel HD core 5, and again checked for driver updates which there are none. In thinking of your comment about the possibility of there being ATI drivers I went to the Dell driver upload page and there I found an option to “select” drivers rather than to let the automatic option. Below is the section I copied for you to see what I’m referring to:

Additional Information

Use the Download Center to manually download generic drivers for the products listed above or other products.*

Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.

Being rather uncertain whether I should attempt to upload drivers via this option I’m asking you if I should strive to look for and upload that which you saw that Sketchup is “trying to talk to” - which is > “aticfx64” ???

Before I make a move I’ll wait for you advice since I don’t want to mess with the system unless I’m sure I’m doing the right thing?

The screen shot you posted 3-25 shows drivers date of 3/31/2010 plus when I did serach for drivers using the info you provided of Dell Insprion 1764 it seem to me there are some updates. However, I do not have the SKU version of your machine as shown on the bottom name plate so the search for the SKU version is questionable. That is the reason I gave you the link above to the Dell driver update link. Did you input the data there and did it report no updates?
When you installed SU2015 did it ask you to install the .Net Frame Work also although it maybe installed by the SU installer. Reason for this question is:
What is it? aticfx64.dll is the Radeon DirectX 11 Driver for ATI video cards with DirectX.
acceleration support. This is the 64 bit Windows version of the driver.
How is aticfx64.dll loaded?
Process Module - aticfx64.dll is loaded as a .Net assembly module within the process
CCC.exe (Catalyst Control Center by ATI Technologies Inc.). (An assembly is a logical
unit of functionality that runs under the control of the .NET common language runtime CLR.).
I think it is still possible to down load SU8, MARC can help on that.

mac,
I used the Intel driver update utility installer again and below is a screen capture of the results:

As you can see it indicates there was a customized graphics driver installed on this computer - I guess? States as you see it is necessary to contact Dell in order to possibly update the driver. I am going to go online to try to see what I can accomplish concerning this.

I didn’t answer all your questions so here is another reply:

I’m not sure what you mean when asking about my “SKU” version unless you mean what Sketchup version? = I had first the new 2015 which earlier today I removed. I then found the earlier Sketchup 8 online and loaded it it. When I tried to run it - the same result - bug splat. So, I removed that version and updated again to the 2015 whiich is on here now.

I sent another “report” explaining this but I’ll do it again:
I went to Dells support page - entered my Service Tag #8GGJLL1 - discovered then there were 2 graphic drivers available recommended. I detailed them in my report but I downlaoded both and loaded them. I then tried running SU again with the same result.

As to whether when loading SU I was “asked to install the Net Frame Work”? - no it does not. Perhaps Marc can direct me on that if necessary?

Thanks again Mac

Marc,
Seems I’m at a loss on my own, so since you’re certain that SU is searching for that driver perhaps I have nothing to lose??? :confused: What’s left is how to go about it and when?

Also, if you read other replies to Mac and the latest bug splat report you’ll see I went online to dell support - inserted my service # and found 2 different graphic drivers which I did load and install - no luck

Thanks again, Bill

Sorry for not defining ,SKU version . it is like a release date etc. For your case posted PC is Dell I7 1764 but there maybe different dates it was manufactured and even have different manfacture parts installed so it is good to know. In fact you can see that on DELL site as they show various dates for 1764 and is why it is important to let them search your machine so you get correct downloads.
<As to whether when loading SU I was “asked to install the Net Frame Work”? - no it does not. Perhaps Marc can direct me on that if necessary?> When you loaded SU2015 you get a 30 day trial version of PRO + 64 I think requires Net Frame work and SU loads that as part of install

Mac,
You may have already read this from me but I did go to Dell support - entered my service tag # and saw a couple graphics drivers which I loaded and ran = but that didn’t solve the problem.

I may try as you suggest “load SU PRO” and perhaps the missing software will get loaded then? However, if after 30 days it is necessary to remove pro so I can then get the free version - will I then lose that bit of software?

Thanks, Bill

Ironically I used your tag number did not get any info back showing graphic driver up dates. The only report was 2 BIOS ( Both same just different files pending how one would do the update) and one other file can’t remember what for at present.

By the way I did I finally get the SKU info I discussed above=> DELL Inspiron 1764 ( Early 2010).
Did you save the URL for the graphics update I would like to see what it really reported or post the URL here and I’ll try the tag num again. I assume the updates are for the intergrated- gaphics your machine presently has so you should not be so quick to install and then delete even though it did not fix the problem you may have more than one problem and still want that update
FYI: if you look at community DELL discussions about that early time period folks were complaining they bought a DELL machine and the graphics card was not included when they received it. What did you pay for when you ordered your machine. Using you tag no. indicates graphics card was not part of invoice??
Further info. for you: ATI originally started AMD then AMD bought out ATI a few years ago. Your machine hopefully has a slot for a Graphics card and if you are so inclined it may still be possible to install one in you PC if you are so inclined.

I may try as you suggest “load SU PRO” and perhaps the missing software will get loaded then? However, if after 30 days it is necessary to remove pro so I can then get the free version - will I then lose that bit of software?
I would not do that at present, since you have already have SU PRO loaded or not???
The PRO version automatically converts to a free version after the 30 trial period. At that point you will not have Layout and style builder but probably do not need those.
You may have a settings problem with the Catalyst Control Center check ths video How to switch from intel hd graphics to dedicated AMD or Nvidia graphics card - YouTube. It is not for your PC model but may hel

SketchUp doesn’t use .NET, so I would not expect that you’re having a problem there.

I looked at your most recent crash report and I’m still seeing aticfx64. I’m not an expert on windows display drivers but I think that aticfx64 is installed on your system by error. If you don’t have an ATI card installed, that driver shouldn’t be installed on your system. I would recommend the following:

1. In “Control Panel” → “Programs and Features”, make sure that there aren’t any ATI drivers installed, and remove them if there are any.
  2. In “Control Panel” → “Display”, make sure that there aren’t any mentions of an “ATI” driver.

You can also download SketchUp 8 from this link, but only the “Pro” version - not the free version.

In my post immediately above I originally made same suggestion but then removed. I think first step is to use the Catalyst Control Center and make sure system is set to use only the integrated graphics. Bill has shown a propensity to struggle some and should have detail direction on how to remove. As I noted above DELL went thru a period where they were not including the graphics driver even it was ordered by the buyer. I seen cases of app suppliers leaving code in their product when they delete capability. I am guessing this may well be the case here.
It is my understanding even with a graphics card it is a hybrid approach and the intergrated graphics would still be used.

aticfx64
What is it?
aticfx64.dll is the Radeon DirectX 11 Driver for ATI video cards with DirectX acceleration support. This is the 64 bit Windows version of the driver.
How is aticfx64.dll loaded?
Process Module - aticfx64.dll is loaded as a .Net assembly module within the process CCC.exe (Catalyst Control Center by ATI Technologies Inc.). (An assembly is a logical unit of functionality that runs under the control of the .NET common language runtime CLR.)

FYI here is a copy directly from the SU Hardware and Sofware Requiremnets in The KB
Like many computer programs, SketchUp Make and SketchUp Pro require certain
hardware and software specifications in order to install and run. These are basic
requirements, though, so you may want to use our recommended suggestions to
improve performance. The following list of requirements and recommendations apply
to SketchUp Pro 2015, SketchUp Make and all previous versions of SketchUp:
Windows 8+ and Windows 7+
Software Microsoft® Internet Explorer 9.0 or higher.
SketchUp Pro requires .NET Framework version 4.0. For more information about the
.NET framework, click here.

The SketchUp application itself does not use .NET, only Style Builder and LayOut do. So, having a .NET issue shouldn’t affect SketchUp. Once we get SketchUp running, then we can worry about Style Builder and LayOut.

Thanks,
Marc

Thanks, I was guessing that was case. What tweaked me was the fact the file may have been loaded as .Net assembly module. Some version back we had to load .net separately but think that is now done via Su installer.

Marc,
I Just went to the SU forum and now I keep getting audio “alerts” and boxes popping up telling me my computer is at risk = that I need to contact the # provided, etc… So, for now I’m staying away from the forum but hope we can correspond via email ?

One of your posts suggested there may be ATI software/drives on my computer so I went to programs and features = scrolled down the list and found ATI Technology (ext.?) listed. So, I clicked on it and removed it from my system today. I rebooted and everything is fine. When I stated in another post that I found 2 graphic drivers “recommended” for my system – that was one of them and so I downloaded it along with an Intel driver. BTW – when you used my service code # and looked for yourself – I think I had already loaded them and so they may not have been listed when you searched? Below are the 2 drivers I loaded (along with SU which I had loaded yet again today Note the dates):

Awhile ago I was looking down my computer files and noticed a “NVidia” file with a display adaptor in it. To my knowledge (per my computer tech also) I don’t have any NVidia hardware in this system? Also, when in device manager/display adaptor – update device manager: I chose the “let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer” option. Once in that environment and after I turned off the “show compatible hardware” option, there were 4 folders listed: (standard display types), (ATI Technologies), (Intel Corp), (NVidia) with each having several files to chose from. Are all these files actually installed on my computer or are they just options that windows can download via the net?

Also, I scrolled down my files and found this - “computer/ local disk C/ NVidia/display adaptor The creation date of that file/driver is: 11/2/2014 I also searched for “Nvidia” in START/ SEARCH – found a text doc and it involved a SU forum post as follows: Nvidia OpenGL drivers loses connection due to time-out, crashes - SketchUp / Technical Problems - SketchUp Community. This was not one of my post = from another user, but the term OpenGL rang a bell. I don’t know what that is but is that necessary for SU? In other posts I believe it was stated I DON’T WANT > OpenGL drivers = right?

In the 3rd post you asked:
in WIndows you can check what GPU and driver version is running by e.g. searching and executing “dxdiag.exe” and selecting the tab “Display” or “msinfo32.exe” and the branch “Components > Display”… to launch them goto “Run” and type the commands above.

I did and found: Device name: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD and below: DirectDraw Acceleration: enabled, Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled, AGP Texture Acceleration: enabled, and at the bottom: No problems found . There is an option (box) at the bottom – RUN 64 bit DxDiag – I ran that also and found no problems – same info.

In the next post you wrote:

March 25
  an old one regularly asked here again and again, the shared intel HD video subsystem doesn't fully support OpenGL (= accelerated 3D display output) and therefore may lead to malfunctions as e.g. display artefeacts or crashes etc.

if you could launch SU you would be able to disable "Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Use Hardware Acceleration"... but if crashing during SU launch you may want use our free 'OpenGL Config' support tool (Windows only) for disabling the OGL hardware acceleration setting from outside SU (download to desktop > launch).

I followed the link provided, downloaded the software and ran it as I think you directed. I chose the ‘disable” option while the program was closed and then opened the program – no luck, then ran the software and chose disable again WITH the program start page on screen, then closed it and reopened it and again no luck… I even tried “enable” the same way just in case I was doing the wrong thing? – no change

Lastly (for tonight) I’ll mention something I’m beginning to wonder about: I was always able to run SU before though it was then v.8 (I believe?) no problems ever! Then, my hard disk failed and I was unable to access any files I had, nor could the comp. tech I had working on it. He thought he could but after some time gave up. I had some backup of my files on a Mem. stick. Luckily I was able to retain most of all the files I originally had except for some. Here is where it gets fuzzy – In the past I had a smaller mem. stick – 5 gig – which was sufficient. But, in trying to be especially “safe” when updating my backup I would copy the original backup in a folder I made in my files on the computer just in case I’d lose them since I had to erase the backup off the stick in order to backup my files from the computer on it again. LSS – I backed up my backup never thinking of it at the time. By the time I backed up my files another time or two I had to get a bigger Mem stick in order to hold all my files! It never dawned on me all that time I was backing up my backup until my comp. tech mentioned I had nearly 10 gig in files!! In mentioning this I’m asking if this could have caused an issue with SU even though “backup” as I understand is primarily for personal files?

I’ve been reading and searching most of the afternoon and evening on this computer for answers and I’m done for now. I apologize for the aggravation I may have caused the two of you I am desperately in need and I thank you for your help. Get back to me when you can. Bill

Looks like some one is try to entice you into spending $$ to buy their app. I had same thing recently and just ignored it. If it continues go to upper right , tools and turn on popup blocker.
Posting via e mail only then others will not read your post and responses will be limited=> if that is what you want?
Have you watched the 3-29 you tube posted for you. Wanted to make sure you have Catalyst Control Center set correctly for your configuration. The video steps you through how to set up for either graphics card or integrated graphics. I expect you will learn from that and then know how yours should be set for integrated graphics only. My assumption is they load the graphics drivers and then rely on the CCC settings configure various configurations. It is my understanding their design is a hybrid approach in that even though you have a graphics card installed the integrated graphics is used some way so it is not one or the other.

Mac,
I followed the thread to the SU support forum and again I was harassed by an “alert page” which I told you about. I tried to block pop-ups in settings (Google chrome) but found nothing of the sort. Just now I had to reboot to get the ■■■■ page off my screen! I had a few days of being free of it since my comp. tech cleaned up my system, but now it’s back. BTW – It is delivered via Norton anti-virus in an attempt to get me to buy their package. I had that worthless program years ago and found it wasn’t worth snot! I’d like to know how to block this ■■■■ myself???

I watched the YouTube vid you gave me but I haven’t attempted that yet. I hope to within the next day. I hate to ask but do you know of a good method or software that will track the spam I keep getting? I have malwarebytes anti-malware, Austologics Registry cleaner, and Super AntiSpyWare besides AVG and use them about every other day but they do not work for the one mentioned apparently? Also, all of the ones I have are the free versions.

You should have a firewall and anti virus running full time. Norton is supplied to me free by my ISP provider. I have used AVG in the past plus Microsoft has security packages you can enable. I use IE but would think chrome has protection and I have also used Fire Fox which is suppose to be better than IE. I would contact your ISP and talk to them and make sure you are set up to get max protection from them, take time to get AVG set up correctly. You can open control panel and there should be windows defender, parental controls, windows fire wall. You can even down load and run Microsoft’s Malicious software removable tool ( recommended in 3-26 post) which they usually do as part of their updates.
IMHO it sounds like you need to spend some time to get protection properly set => use the help provided by virtually ever one of the programs. Run malwarebytes several times and remove problems. I happen to subscribe to that.
Remember the link I provided is for learning so you can set up your lap top for the intel graphics only.