Doors and windows - aperture closes

I’ve used push/pull to make opening in walls for doors and windows. I have found in several cases, the wall becomes solid again, at least one face reappears. When I try to push/pull to remove it again, it becomes an extruded object in the doorway/window aperture. The face that reappears masks whatever door or window component is there.

I had a look at known problems but can’t see this.

Are you using components and are you aware components can be set to “cut opening”?

Do you use a point of the backface (endpoint, edge) as a reference for the inference system while push pulling?

Sorry for the delay. I simply drew a rectangle on the wall where I wanted an opening then then pushed through, having selected the face, to create an opening. I later fitted window and door components, resizing them to fit the hole.

[Update] I have drawn a rectangle to make a floor in a room, and the two doorways on the walls became filled again.

Yes, if you draw an edge there the face will form. Select and delete the face as needed.
This is why you use groups and components to separate geometry. If you had made each wall a group, drawing in the floor would not create a face in the doorway.

I drew a rectangle. It added two more rectangles at right-angles to the one I drew, without me asking. What kind of logic is that?

When you drew the rectangle it closed the edges of two other rectangles at right angle to the one you drew.

I added a line by drawing the rectangle for the floor. That doesn’t mean that there should be a solid rectangle formed elsewhere. It should still be an empty rectangle made of 4 lines, as it was before. Assuming I want a solid rectangle is incorrect behaviour. If I want to fill it I can draw a rectangle over the four edges.

That isn’t how the software works, thank god.
A face will form whenever 3 or more edges form a closed loop.
Imagine a very irregular shape with no face, so you want to try to match those edges to form a face rather than draw in one segment.

If you draw a single line from one endpoint to another then fair enough, it’s clear that you are making a shape. But by simply drawing an adjacent rectangle should not imply you want everything it touches to be a solid shape.

I’ve just tried a new window opening. Drew a rectangle and pushed it through the wall until it turned blue. When I look at the back face it isn’t a hole!

Turning blue isn’t the trick, inference it to the back face, by using an edge or corner will make it be a hole, if it is plannar.

Ah, just tried again and got an ‘On Face’ tooltip, so clicked there. That seems to work. Didn’t get that last time.

What you appear to be missing is that in SketchUp a “rectangle” isn’t a separate object unto itself, it consists of the four bounding edges and their enclosed face. Until you isolate them in a group or component, this is true by design of every edge and face you create in SketchUp. The result of drawing with the rectangle tool is exactly the same as if you had drawn the four edges using the line tool (and then SketchUp automatically filled the face).

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.