Dimensioning Small Spaces 1/8" in 3/4" Scale

Hello all,

I am fairly new to using SketchUp and Layout. I work in the architectural field designing high-end kitchens and built in furniture and have used more 3D modeling and cabinet specific design programs than I can count on both hands.

Recently we started using a cabinet specific program called Mosaik which is sort of, kind of, a plug-in that works with SketchUp and allows you to open your models in SketchUp when you are done. After discovering that we can lay out elevations/section scenes in SketchUp and then lay them out in Layout just opened up a whole new world for me. I am used to bouncing DXFs from my 3D models and then painstakingly put them on specific layers and dimension in AutoCAD.

To make a long story short I was hoping to cut AutoCAD out of the equation. But I discovered an issue. I have a reveal on a cabinet door that is an 1/8". When I insert my elevation to layout, then convert it to vector so its cleaner and put it on 3/4" scale, the reveal is non existent and you can’t measure it. It’s almost like the lines are too thick and I read on a previous post theres no way of adjusting line weights in SketchUp? When I go up to 1-1/2" scale the reveal becomes visible but only reads a 1/64" when I dimension it. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a way to get Layout to dimension something like 3/32" or an 1/8" in 3/4" or 1" scale.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

It would be helpful if you shared your LayOut file so we can see what you are working with.

Lineweights aren’t adjustable in SketchUp but they are in LayOut. If you are finding the lines too heavy in the LO viewport, change the weight in the SketchUp Model panel in LayOut. Note that the line weight will affect all edges in the viewport in the same way. There are ways to deal with that but you should get to grips with the very basics of LayOut first.

You should take the time to go through the SketchUp and LayOut instructional materials here: https://learn.sketchup.com/

Thanks for your reply Dave, that certainly was the solution. I adjusted the model line weight lighter and the dimension worked. It also helped when I changed it to hidden line instead of having it in color.

But I am curious about what you said about changing specific line weights in the model itself instead of all of them like you said. For instance, if I wanted the cabinet door to be darker than the carcass of the cabinet in an elevation how would one go about that.

Thanks for your help

There are a few different ways to manage it but when I need to do things like this I leverage layers and scenes created in SketchUp and use them for stacked viewports in LayOut. This is all quite simple to do but you need to be thinking ahead to keep your ducks in a row. Camera position is kept the same for the scenes in SU and just layers are changed.

Here’s a quickie example.

First scene:

Second scene:

In LO, two viewports stacked on the left. I separated them on the right. Each of the stacked viewports is on a separate layer in LO. I have exaggerated the lineweight difference a bit.