Dimension arrows huge in Layout

Has anyone solved this problem? I need my SU dimensions that are associated with the model, but they’re unusable in Layout. (They look great if I double-click on the view). I just need Layout to NOT re-scale the SU dimensions. Is there a way to turn this off?

I tried “height” instead of “point” size in SU which works in Layout but messes up SU.

1 Like

Have you tried dimensioning in LayOut? Its dimensions can also reference the model.

Anssi

The size of the arrowheads in SketchUp’s dimensions are linked to the size of the text. Reduce the point size of the font and the arrowheads will get scaled down. Currently that’s the only option for dimensions in SketchUp unless you want to draw your own dimension arrows. Otherwise, as Anssi suggests, do the dimensioning in LayOut. It’ll give you much more control over the appearance of the dimensions.

Dimensions in Layout don’t change when the model changes, so it means I can’t trust the Layout dimensions. I would have to delete them all and redo them just to be sure. I’m drawing cabinets and printing working 3-view mechanical drawings, so there are a lot of dimensions. An incorrect dimensions is expensive.

The dimensions in SU are associated and they look OK even in Layout when I double click on the view, but then Layout resizes them for some reason.

Thanks,
Ron

You need to reduce the font size in SketchUp, then.

Double clicking on the viewport in LO is not a good thing because it disconnects the viewport from the scene. Any changes you might make to that scene in SketchUp will not get translated to the viewport.

My primary use for LayOut is plans/mechanical drawings for cabinet work and furniture. I’ve done quite a few and I prefer using LayOut’s dimensions to SketchUp’s. I haven’t had any problems dealing with the dimensions when there are changes to the model.

Thanks Dave,

I double-clicked a viewport in Layout, moved the view around, then made a change in SU. It updated normally in Layout. I didn’t even have to “Update model reference”. I’m using 2016. It doesn’t seem to have the problem you describe, but thanks for the heads-up. I’ll keep an eye on that.

I actually had to make the font larger not smaller in SU for it to be the right size in Layout, I’m using the font “height” to make it more predictable. I’ll experiment some more, but you’d think the default would be for Layout not to change it at all.

There must be something I’m not understanding about Layout dimensions. I like to create a cabinet template in SU WITH dimensions already on it. If I use Layout, I have to make all the dimensions from scratch every time, and they don’t update to the model. Also, I need dimensions in SU as I go, so I’m duplicating effort by putting them in Layout.

Since you’re also doing cabinets, I would love to pick your brain one on one, if you’re open to that.

I was referring to scene-specific changes. Shadows, camera position changes, styles, etc. SThe same thing happens in SU2016.

Why do you need the dimensions in the SketchUp model? I’m curious because even in the most complex models, I don’t have any need to see dimensions.

Yes. I’d be open to that. Some time when we both have time to chat.

When I insert a nice looking SU 2017 model into LO, the arrowheads grow much larger relative to the label text than they where in SU, ruining the appearance of the resulting document. This makes LO unusable for me. Obviously this is the topic of this thread, but I can find no sign that this fundamental problem has been resolved! Any info would be appreciated. (Dimensioning in LO doesn’t work for me either.) Is there a registry value that sets the arrowhead to label size ratio by chance?

The arrowhead size in SketchUp is related to the font size.

Yes, I know. The problem is that the visually pleasing ratio of arrowhead size to label text size in SU is not preserved when inserting into LO. When inserting into LO, the label to arrowhead ratio increases 2-3 times and the result looks awful.

I answered your question.

Why not insert labels in LayOut?

Yes, and thanks for that. Labels/callouts where included in SU for a reason, allowing annotation while constructing the model. It seems like the intent of LO was simply to allow multiple views of models to be incorporated (with visual exactitude) into a single 2D document. Changing the look of arrow annotations seems as wrong as changing typefaces or colors would be. Is there something I am missing here? Are you saying that the SU people intend for annotation to be done in LO?

LayOut is intended for creating the documentation from the 3D model you make in SketchUp. It has much better options for creating labels that SketchUp has.

If you actually look at the options and the sort of control you have over labels in LO compared to those in SketchUp, it is very clear that is the case.

Although Layout may be “better”, the way it translates from SU is clearly a problem. I’m not sure what difficulties the programmers encountered that caused them to have dimensions and labels transferred to Layout in a way that ignores how it was formatted in SU, but it is inconvenient. For myself, I prefer to work mostly in SU and rarely use Layout, although sometimes I need it. I want to have dimensions in SU while I’m working. I don’t want to have to do dimensions twice, once in SU and then again in Layout. And I don’t want to work in SU with no dimensions, having them only in Layout. I wish the SU team would fix this.

2 Likes

SU support was nice enough to respond my question while gently reminding me that support is for licensed users only (I was evaluating in trial period). I include here for others following this thread:

Thanks for your note. Given that LayOut is having some trouble rendering SketchUp dimensions, it seems totally fair that you’d want to bring this to our attention. Thanks again for contacting us.

For the future, please understand that technical support is a resource for paid SketchUp Pro customers. To learn more, please visit this page:

http://help.sketchup.com/en/policy

At this time, I can’t comment on future development which may reveal the nature of this behavior and when it should be fixed. However, I hear your core question of “how is LayOut intended to be used?” The answer to that question is: everything related to documenting your SketchUp model should be done with LayOut’s documentation tools. The callouts, labels, logos, text, and dimensions should all be drawn in LayOut using those same respective tools. SketchUp should only provide the geometry as well as the information about that geometry (eg. the name of component).

If you’d like to see a full SketchUp to LayOut workflow in action, I recommend this video series by Nick Sonder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xUOAicq-Y&list=PL-bndkJaV8A41vyW2gJp93wOKznTCa0yC

Regards,
Tommy
The SketchUp Team