Different measurements all of a sudden (!)

Wow!

You don’t need to put in the dimensions with the Dimension tool in order to resize the model with the Tape Measure tool.

Did you look at the Large Toolset or Construction toolbars, or the Tools menu?

Yes the tools menu, but nothing happens.

Yes what?

What do you mean nothing happens?

No arrows with numbers appear.

What? Are you expecting them to magically appear when you click on Dimensions? That doesn’t happen. You have to put in the dimensions.

Ok, now I understand. But never mind since we don’t need them for changing the scale of the drawing. I just don’t understand how to use the tape tool they way you say and the way it shows on YouTube…

Did you watch my GIF and the video you linked to? It’s really not hard. Click on the two endpoints, type the correct distance and press Enter.

No circles appear when I use the tape tool, only dashed lines.

Many of the questions here suggest that you would benefit from watching the SketchUp tutorials. You are confused about basic aspects of how SketchUp Tools work. The general pattern is that you activate a tool (multiple ways, ranging from the menus to the toolbars to shortcut keys) and then click with the mouse on the drawing to accomplish whatever that Tool is meant to do. For example, you don’t automatically get any dimensions if you click that item in the Tools menu, you make the Tool active and then click the two endpoints of an edge to specify what object’s dimension you want to draw, move the cursor to choose where the dimension will be drawn, and then click again to fix that location.

Are you clicking on endpoints in the model.

Steve makes an excellent point. It’s high time you learn to use the fundamental tools in SketchUp.

(So you are sure you can do this in SketchUp 2017?)

Here is a video of me trying different things: Dropbox - File Deleted

Yes. I guarantee it can be done in SU2017. It’s been available for more than 15 years.

Try it in a new file. Just draw a rectangle and then resize it with the Tape Measure tool.

1 Like

NOW it works! I don’t know why it didn’t work at first. Wow, I’m so happy! Thank you all!!! :heart_eyes:

I think what I did wrong was to measure between two lines instead of between two lines on an edge.

As I wrote several times…

1 Like

My English is not the best, sorry. It’s not my native language/mother tongue. I thought point meant like place, not corner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.