Did I break another one of TIG's extensions?

I’m running default_layer_geometry on one of my models, this is a model of my workshop that I made back in the day when I’d been using SUp, off and on, for almost 2 months, to say I was a novice would be kind, I think I might be a novice now (almost 1 year). I went through and ‘fixed’ as much of it as I could then ran the extension on the whole thing (17MB, 1288 entities).

It’s been running for an hour, the title bar indicates (Not Responding), but Windows 10 Task Manager shows that it’s still running with ~30% CPU. The (Not Responding) comes up a lot when saving and loading models, it always seems to fix itself.

I’ll give it another half hour or so before I stop it. Should I do individual components and groups rather than the whole thing? Or start over, many of the components came from 3D Warehouse?

There is no way to predict how long the plugin may need to run, so I’d advise you to be patient and give it several hours before killing it or concluding that you have broken it.

By “entities” I assume you mean groups and components, as it is difficult to imagine how you would get to 17MB with only 1288 edges and faces (well I guess large materials and images could do it, but that doesn’t sound like your situation)! That plugin digs deep into the model and examines every edge and face. If the model has millions of them, that could take a long time.

There are numerous models in the 3DWarehouse that are wildly over-detailed for normal people’s needs. If you innocently downloaded some of these, your model may be far more complex than you thought.

Regarding the “Not Responding”, that is a normal situation when a Ruby plugin runs for a long time. What happens is that Ruby never gives the main SketchUp thread a chance to process user events, and Windows (also Mac) reports that as unresponsive. There is nothing the plugin programmer can do about this, it is inherent to the way that SketchUp embeds Ruby.

1288 is the number of Entities in the ‘Entity Info’ box while the extension is running. There are a number of components (~100 +/-).

Yeah I’ve noticed, some have lots of left over stuff in them too. Back then I was very cautious/ignorant about dealing with them.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll go work in my shop and let it run.

Entity info reports the number of “top level” objects in the current selection. It does not count geometry inside Groups or Components and does not count nested Groups or Components. So, that’s only a loose impression of how much the plugin has to cope with. You can get a better idea from the Model Info’s statistics panel.

Also remember to use Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused…
To ensure you are only processing what you want…

I’ve given up after 5 hours. The models stats:
Component Definitions - 210
Layers - 6
Materials - 142
Styles 1

I did purge Unused prior to running default_layer_geometry.

Will try some individual groups/components and see what happens.

That IS a lot of geometry and containers…
It has to process everything…
Try bite-sized chunks.
At some point SketchUp gags on tool much data…

I’ve spent several hours doing just that. Some of the 3D Warehouse models took a great deal of time to process. Glad the extension is ok.:grinning:

1 Like

I have revisited this oldie plugin…
It’s now been optimized for assigning Layer0 to EITHER the selected geometry and geometry nested inside containers, OR ALL geometry inside the model and its definitions [i.e. components and groups].
Get v2.0 here:

1 Like