DFX import is all facets, can it be converted to solid?

Hi,
When I import a dfx file from the Grohe website the result is all surfaces and lots of extra lines. Is there a better way to import it?
Marc

faucet dfx.skp (229.7 KB)

The short answer is, ‘Yes’.
The long answer is, ‘No without some effort…’

The yellow blobs mark at least four areas… when viewed with a temp-section-cut…
If you want the knobs, spout, spray-head etc, and perhaps some other parts, as separate solids you need to group them separately, then edit them until Entity Info reports them as ‘Solid’/
Working left-to-right…
You can’t have an inner partition face - unless it’s grouped as two separate parts.
The spindle [?] can’t penetrate like that as there are internal ‘flaps’.
The end of the spout and the spray-head are not ‘closed off’.
If you want a hollow tube, rather than a solid representation, you need to add thickness to the tubular par - look at Fredo’s Joint-PushPull…

If you are unsure about what makes a ‘solid’ there are lots of threads about it - but basically a group/component can only contain faces and edges, and every edge must have exactly two faces.
So that means no nested ‘containers’, and no faceless edges, no flaps/shelves/holes with an edge with one face, no internal partitions with edges with three or more faces…
There are several plugins that might help, but knowing the basic demands and modeling carefully to meet those is the best way…

Thanks for the input.
I was actually starting to dig into the parts and try to clean up some of the extraneous stuff. Even then I’m left with non circular parts. It’s not going t be worth my effort, I just wanted a basic representation of whats going on in a bathroom. All the facets make the parts stick out like a sore thumb when the view pulled back. The vendors supply these CAD files but this one isn’t much use to me.
Thanks,
Marc

if you select all and then ‘Smooth’ them and make a group, they should fine for visualisation…

you can go back and optimise them as your abilities increase…

john

It really shouldn’t be too difficult to redraw these in SketchUp. Almost all the geometry is simple cylinders. For the spout a circle profile following a path around the curved should do. For example:

faucet dfx2.skp (130.9 KB)

Hi John,
That was very helpful but I can’t get the same result as you did. Still mostly facets.
The parts come over as a single component. I tried smoothing first and exploding and then smoothing and several other sequences before making groups. The part also arrives on 53 layers. I moved everything to layer 0 but that doesn’t help either. Am I missing some other step?
Marc

can you post the dxf…

it may be easier to fix on import…

john

I started to do that but I don’t know a good way to identify the circle size with all the facets.

See attached

19888000_3D.dxf (136.1 KB)

I just tape-measured diagonals and used half the value as the radius of each circle. BTW, it appeared that you imported the model with the wrong units, as things were nonsensically large inch sizes. I arbitrarily decided to scale down to nearest whole values and then make them 0.1mm, as that seemed to produce sensible sizes.

I imported in meters, and locked the top level component/group…

I then made a circle on the base and set a section plane so `I could see inside…

push/pull to the first step, offset to the narrower diameter rinse and repeat for the whole body…

made that a solid group…

made one new handle a solid, rotated 2 copies…

deleted original, outer shelled the rest, scale with tape measure to mm…

I should have made the circles correspond to the axis but it was quick…

tap_dxf.skp (119.5 KB)

you can do yours better…

john

Just wanted to get back and say that this helped a lot.
Thanks,
Marc