Dependent files/components?

Hello. I’ve created a plywood based item which has around 100 parts and there are a few different thicknesses of ply involved. To make creating DXF files easier I’ve been copying the “master file” and then turning off those items I don’t want and then laying them out on “sheets” of ply. I’ve discovered I want to change a few items but now have to change them in both the master and the copied file for DXF export. Obviously this doubles the work and could cause errors.

Is there a way to have dependent files or components between the master and copied file? Or is there a way I can import the updated component ONLY (and not the myriad other layers etc) to quickly replace the item?

Thanks for your input.

EDIT; In the meantime I’ve edited the component in the master file and then just copied and pasted in the servant file then deleted the old piece. Simple enough but would be nice to have them linked automatically if possible.

You could instead have instances of the same components in the same model in different Scenes. Components in the Master scene would be on a Master layer. A copy component would be in a different Layer (say Layout) and laid out as you want it for cutting layout.

Turn ‘on’ only the Master layer in the Master scene, then Update the scene and if prompted, create a new Style for it.

Changes to the Layout scene, turn ‘off’ the Master layer, and turn ‘on’ the Layout layer.

Update the scene as before. Save.

Save your ‘master components’ to a Components Library (just a folder on your drive).
In the detail sheets ‘Reload’ the updated components.

But this method still means you need to keep track of whats current and whats changed.

Building it all in 1 file with layers is another good option, as any changes telegraph through the entire drawing.

I would suggest essentially the same thing as John did. In fact I do that now for furniture plans I create. I generally leave all instances of a component on the same layer and it’s easy to set up views of parts off to one side of the assembled model and create scenes to show those parts. Inevitable changes to the assembled model then automatically get made anywhere those arts appear in the model space.

You can see a typical arrangement of of components here: https://flic.kr/p/zcUzxT There’s the assembled model in the lower left for the scenes showing it as a whole, an exploded version in the lower right for exploded view scenes, and individual parts above for the 2D views of the parts. The parts are overlapping in the upper region but it doesn’t matter because only one or two layers are turned on for any given scene showing them.

When I have projects made of sheet materials, the parts get laid out as you’re doing but in the same model as the assembled one.

Thanks for those suggestions and certainly some good thinking there. My model has been created for a while and I built it putting the different parts on different layers so I could turn things off and on to assist with working out how all went together in detail and construction order.

I will copy the entire file and then have a play with creating layers and scenes to see how I go. I’ve learned already to NOT explode the pieces and reduce to 2D until after everything is laid out and absolutely finished. I’ll be copying the “layout” scene to a separate DXF folder before I then reduce it down. Still learning. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

I would also only have one file. You could make copies of the components to be machined to one side laid out how you want to machine them (still 3d). Any changes to the model would be reflected in these components. Keeping everything up to date.
When you are happy instead of flettening you could try simply running a rectangle through these components and intersecting the face with the components. (The heights of the components would have to be set right)
Move the rectangle to one side and you have all the geometry you need. Cut and copy this rectangle to a new file, set camera parallel projection, and export the DXF.
Just a suggestion, I don’t know if it’s of use in your case.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.