Denisroy ...anything?

Your memory must be failing, old Sage!

Here’s what I said:

Thank you Jody.

Now… is the time.

don’t forget to wipe this post too * scnr *

I just spent over an hour making edits to multiple replies of mine in the Brainstorm idea of a “negative space” component thread.

There were three types of edit:

1. Edits where I replaced a post of mine completely, explaining that they made no sense without being able to see the idea to which I was responding.
  2. Edits where I could paraphrase what he removed so that the rest of the post made sense.
  3. Edits to apologize for the absence of information helpful (but not essential) to my reply.

I’m sure many of us have similar long threads with contributions from him that need similar editing to eliminate replies that, by his removal of his contribution, now are confusing or outright nonsense!

Actions have consequences Denis. Deletion of valuable contributions in this case has already cost me at least an hour of my time cleaning up a single thread. When I’m doing consulting work (not related to SketchUp), I charge $120/hour. Where can I send the bill?

Sorry to dig up old bones but I must somehow have missed this thread after about the first 4 posts.

It seems to me a bad idea to allow this type of deletion. I would like to see deleted posts show hidden, but still give users the option to view them, as some other forums do.

Kind of like this:

Deleted Post

This is a post with content that has been deleted by the contributor. It is collapsed but still available to view.

This would force users wanting to destroy posts, to manually edit/remove the relevant text first (maintaining the required minimum characters).

It would also be nice to have rules limiting the amount of deletions, with new posts being required before additional deletion rights would be granted. I understand the necessity of allowing deletions and editing, but this type of mass deletion should be made even more difficult.

this particular episode decimated quite a lot of useful threads, and a strategy should be inplace to avoid reoccurrence…

the former ‘time limit’ on edit’s was removed to allow updating of links, maybe it should be reinstated…

the ability to disappear gracefully could be aided with a user name change feature…

i.e. changing your username to ‘anonymous’ or ‘former member’ could re-tag all your posts and void your membership…

if wanting to re-join at some point, using @formermember@old_name could reinstate the membership but not editing access to old post’s…

john

2 Likes

proposing enhancements concerning post edits/deletions here doesn’t help much if the used forum software (= ‘Discourse’) doesn’t offer a corresponding functionality… with a post edit time limit (default 86400 mins. ~ 2 months) already available (and activated in those days):

https://discourse-meta.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/original/3X/e/2/e2595df71c055a0e4e88b53e5d49fcd0e9f85440.png

A decent time limit to avoid bulk edits/deletions up to the very first beginning seems to be an appropriate measure without restricting the ‘normal’ forum usage to much if at all.

1 Like