Dark Mode, When?

its ok. What I meant is I hide the grafical user interface as much as possible, to save screen space. Thats all.

*Ahem, so…yeah, dark mode. I see SketchUp figured it out for the 3d Warehouse. That’s cool I guess. SketchUp is next then, right?..right?

I would probably even update my version for that feature.

Looks like unofficial support exists, looks like someone figured it out somewhere @anon77361920

1 Like

i wouldnt mind a dark mode, actually i would love it. I still have not memorized all the hotkeys yet and i always need to have outliner, entity info, and the right side menus open, so having a dark theme would be nice.

thanks again for all your awesomeness

i need to learn to model this way haha

If you have two monitors use the second monitor for all the tool palettes etc and just turn the brightness down on that monitor. :slight_smile:

I suggest that you read this web page:

2 Likes

Article author does not appear to be aware of the creative professionals requirement for a dark mode interface, which is for the interface to be non distracting (and typically low contrast) while viewing images and models in a darkened studio setting.
Dark mode interfaces are so common for professional creative applications that this topic should not be needed anymore.
If there were eye strain issues with dark mode, tens of thousands of creative professionals would not be using dark mode interfaces now.

3 Likes

Why do many creative professionals work in a…

I consider myself to be a creative professional, and I have always worked in well-lit rooms. But I don’t edit photographs. And I remember the obligatory “dark mode” of the DOS days. It was a strain to the eyes.

1 Like

Good point - it is more the photoshop, video and game developers (as opposed to architects who are more likely to work in a brightly lit office).

A dimly lit office allows the creative to work longer hours on high contrast images using a dark mode interface which reduces the otherwise distraction of a light interface.

I have collaborated with high-end image editing studios back in my illustration days. The top editors worked in dimly lit small offices with huge monitors. When working with high contrast images for photo editing, or renderings, a dimly lit room is optimal and the interface needs to be nearly invisible.

Maybe an interface that brightens or darkens according to the room brightness would be useful.
The interface contrast is also important - the text or icons do not usually need to be anywhere near max contrast.

1 Like

I discussed this a lot with my late father who was a painter (artist). When working with colour, the best environment is similar to the one in which the end product is going to be viewed in. An overly light or dark studio introduces biases.

1 Like

I am sure there is more to be understood about this topic - I have never read anything definitive and comprehensive on it.

If we look at film making, the images being worked on are designed for viewers very much consuming the content in dimly lit rooms.

Another key aspect historically is to do with the quality/brightness of monitors. If you are working in a brightly lit studio but you have a monitor that is far from portraying actual daylight brightness/color, the edited result may not be very successful when viewed in daylight. It could be that working in a dimly lit room adds a little punch to images viewed in daylight.

I recently watched a YouTube video about a home made outdoor TV using 5-10x more brightness in the LED backlighting - it looked great, but it needed to be water cooled!

Top pros used to work with the “Brightside” monitor which actually looked close to reality for brightness, contrast and color but it was extremely expensive.

Architecture presentations are surely going to be more digital than paper going forward, which will likely promote the dimly lit studio process.

1 Like

Following up further on the artist/painter reference. In this case you are working on canvas or paper and daylight is excellent for all image quality to a point. The paintings are generally viewed in galleries under spotlights though, so in my work as a fine artist, I used special color corrected spot lights when working at my easel, while still allowing some daylight in.

For architects today, I imagine the vast majority are working on computer monitors, not paper - monitors are a light source (and a little radiation). So the brightly lit office now has competing light sources - the office lighting and the monitor - sometimes too much light for a creative working 12+ hours in a day.

For image editors, an office must maintain a constant light level so that color correction etc. has highly consistent results - so the most likely and easiest light level to maintain 24 hours a day is a dimly lit office.

2 Likes

My point was that the video interface of computers evolved from light lines on a dark background of the 1970’s and 1980’s technology to what we saw emerge with the Mac in the second half of the 1980’s. This was called WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). For example, black text on a white background in word processors to mimic what you will get after printing or black lines on a white background in CAD programs to mimic what you get after printing or plotting. I find that this was a change for the best.

The other point might be that dark mode consume less energy so it becomes useful with laptops to increase use time when working on battery only. But it might not be that much of a save as shown in this article:

In conclusion, a dark mode could be useful to some and a light mode to others. The software shall offer both modes.

2 Likes

This isn’t true. Nearly every video editor anywhere works in a dark room. Not even just dim. It’s because color is controlled better that way.

That applies only to movies. Movies are viewed in a darkened room. Colour vision is not constant. Perceived cclours change with their environment.

It’s time for sketchup to support dark mode as well. It is now 2021. Dark mode is the trend now.

2 Likes

No, it does not. It applies to all television production. Even for daytime shows watched on televisions indoor. All the editing is done in editing bays, which are essentially dark. This is because they are focused on good color, and it lowers eye strain. That’s also why the interfaces are dark.

This principle applies not only to movies and TV, but to anything where color is important and people are working for long hours. Dark mode is quite comfortable and is near standard across most creative apps for this very reason.

3 Likes

Well, I know which one feels better on my eyes and it’s NOT the bright ones. :wink:

1 Like