Dado's for box bottoms with mitered corners

I am trying to figure out how to create a dado in sketchup for a box that will have mitered corners with a bottom that slides in a dado about 1/2" up from the outside of the box. I’m not sure if that makes sense but I have been trying to figure out a better way of saying it and I just can’t figure it out. It is a normal thing to do but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to draw it up in sketchup. If it were just flat ends that weren’t mitered it would be simple just draw a u on the end of the side of the box and push/pull it to the other end to create the dado. When that end is mitered push/pull does not work because the plane is at 45 degrees from the side of the box.

I understand what you want. There are several ways to put a groove in the sides of the box to receive the bottom. One way would be to draw the parts longer than needed making components of the parts. Then with the parts in place crossing each other, edit the components and draw in the miter lines at the corners using the adjoining part as a reference. Erase the unneeded waste and move on to the next component. Likely the ends of the box can be the copies of the same component as can the front and back.

I can think of two or three other ways do do this, too.

You could use Push/Pull on the mitered side but it’ll take a couple of operations. Push the groove in and then push the ends of the groove out past the miter. Select all of the geometry, right click and choose Intersect faces>With Selection. Then erase the unneeded bits.

Here is a quick video showing one way to do it.

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you both so much for the help and how quick it was. This has to be the best response I have ever gotten from any forum. Of course now that you have told/showed me the way I can’t believe I was so stupid to not figure it out. Thank you both again.

Check your PMs.