Cutting EQUAL corners off rectangle with the arc on 4 sides

Just for clarity, this should read, Double Click to …

1 Like

It just confirms that in sketchup there are often several ways to solve a problem.
The tape measure method allows you to specify how far the curve goes on each side.

You’re quite right, there are always different ways. However using the method Dave shows is as accurate. Plus he is using the mid point inference and the magenta inference to make the ends of the rectangle equal semicircles.
You only need one measurement to get all four corners the same.
Measure one guide then use the magenta inference and a double click to get the fillet, then double click the corners to repeat.

1 Like

just thought I’d let you know. I revisited this and the double click makes all the difference!

Double-click for repeat works for several tools. Probably the most useful is Push/Pull.

1 Like

thanks

The “double-click inside the other three corners” tip is fantastic! I’ve always thought that there should be a simple way to do that, but hadn’t run across it. Thanks, Dave! And goodbye to guidelines, offsets, and all the other workarounds I’ve tried to accomplish the same thing.

1 Like

You never did need to use guidelines etc…even without the double-click shortcut.
If for instance you wanted a rounded corner in the top left corner, but a simple bevel using the line tool in the other three, then after selecting the line tool you can hover over the side end-point of the new arc, then carefully drag the cursor to the right hand side. As long as that end point stays highlighted, you know that the start of the bevel is exactly opposite it. You can then use the same magenta cue to draw a perfect bevel with no need for lines, offsets or anything else.

Of course the price for all this inferencing black-magic is SU’s low tolerance of tons of geometry.

And here’s an animation of basically what Alan is describing.
One guidline to set the radius size, then inferencing from there.

1 Like

@Box, thanks for the great animations!
One little note to simplify the steps: the guide isn’t needed.

The first step could be to draw the magenta arc, then type its radius. It keeps being tangent.
Then continue with either the ‘Arc’ tool for rounded tangent corners (your animation) or the ‘Line’ tool (Alen’s previous post) for straight magenta bevels.

Although, I know, some prefere using guides as visual help.

1 Like

To be honest, I rarely use guides, usually only in animations to show how something works.

Can you explain this in more detail please?

With the Arc tool, click on the first edge to set the first end of the arc.
Move the cursor to the adjacent edge and get the magenta arc.
Move the cursor toward the corner to show the magenta arc. Notice the Measurements box will be labeled “Radius”.
Let go of the mouse and type the radius.

Here you go Cotty, the trick is in the single click to set, and move to reacquire the magenta inference before typing the Radius.

3 Likes

The thing I’m trying to say is that even after finishing drawing a magenta arc you can still adjust its radius. It will remain tangent. But this method can be tricky and not always works. Typing before the third click (as Box shows) is much safer though.

And even after finishing the arc it can still be “tangent-” adjusted through ‘Entity Info’. Hence my note about skipping guide(s). I try to avoid them if possible.

1 Like

Thank you @DaveR, @Box and @Wo3Dan. I wasn’t able to change the radius after finishing the arc, but with the tangent inference after the second click it works like a charm. A true D’oh! moment for me!

This forum absolutely rocks! I’m not EVEN going to describe the Byzantine process I’ve used for making radiused Corners in the past! The sequence you guys described so well here is at least 10 times faster… Thank you!!

I’m curious how you guys are able to record and include such clear concise and helpful animations for your post replies. Is there a simple answer or a separate forum discussion that describes the process?

Agreed! I don’t even want to know the cumulative # of non-returnable hrs of my life spent using ridiculous, inefficient methods before learning this. Which was just like 10 minutes ago. :p.

I’d like also to add from a newbie perspective if double-clicking the other corners isn’t automagically rounding the corners for you, the below tips may help:

• Practice with a fresh, new rectangle. I had been messing around w/ the one I was trying on, and had used the ‘Weld’ plug-in on it, so the other corners wouldn’t round for me (until I eventually chose ‘Explode Curves’).

• If the rectangle is in a group or component, make sure you’re editing in that group/component. I’ve found when learning that it can be visually deceptive and easy to appear that you’re editing something when in fact you’re outside it’s group/component and not affecting it at all.

• The area you can double-click to round the other corners is extremely large. If you were to visualize splitting your rectangle into four equal quadrants, you can double-click anywhere in each corner’s respective quadrant to automatically round (I initially thought my problem was missing some hotspot location to double-click is why I mention here).