Cutting double wall without a plugin, how?

ok i see but is there a way to move the window by a simple select to solve the other issue i mentioned ?

You only get unintended things from the background if you are viewing the model from a direction in which they fall inside the selection window. Often you can avoid the problem by orbiting to a different viewpoint before dragging out the selection window. For example, if you look directly down at the top of the wall it is less likely there is anything below that is also within the selection window.

In addition, you can only select things that are visible. You can use tags and/or the hidden property to prevent getting things that are inside the selection window no matter how you orbit. This can be a good way if the problem is from floors above or below the one you are currently modeling. Itā€™s usually a good idea to put separate floors into separate groups or components anyway.

I understand, i was starting to do that e.g move the view so i didnā€™t get unnecessary selection. I noticed that doing a selection might miss some faces which are required to move the window so i have to orbit to the other side of the window and add to selection, i guess thatā€™s the way it is ?

If you miss some items, you just didnā€™t make the selection window big enough. Sometimes changing temporarily to parallel projection helps avoid this.

i tried your suggestion from up looking down, that did the trickā€¦

something that is beyond of this post is, where do i find best practices ? such as

• physical objects should be groups or components ?
  • each ceiling in each room should be a separate group/component ?
  • same for floors
  • doors should be group/component ? same goes for window ?
    All this because when i want to move a wall to try something out how do i avoid having to move door ?

I guess if you know a good place for people building house plans maybe thatā€™s the place i should read.

Iā€™ll tell you what I do, based on the above questions, but how you organize your model will evolve to your way of working.

1. I end up with all edges and faces inside components or groups. It helps me understand where everything is when I come back to the model and there are no loose pieces floating around.
  2. I usually put the ceiling faces inside one component. Sometimes in the roof component. Makes it easier to hide at once by turning off a tagā€“so you can look inside. Sometimes thereā€™ll be more components inside that to separate different areas of ceilingā€“AT SOME POINT YOU CAN HAVE TOO MANY NESTED COMPONENTS AND IT BECOMES UNWIELDY.
  3. I usually have each door and window a component. Sometimes itā€™s a hole- cutting component inside the wall component.
  4. If you move a wall you have to select everything in that wall, or youā€™ll just have to move it later. If you move a group / component, everything in the group moves at once. If a component is GLUED to a face, it will move with the face. If you want something more automatic, try a plugin like Medeek Wall or a more advanced software.

There are a lot of tutorials and videos on making house models. Different approaches too. Learning the basics at the SketchUP campus videos will make the methods more obvious to you and help you choose the best way for you, at your level. https://learn.sketchup.com/

and for advanced model and house plan methods look at Nick Sonderā€™s videos on youtube

1 Like

You need to understand the fundamentals, then your best practice will become clear to you and will continue to develop over time as you learn new techniques and what works best for you.

There are no ā€˜rulesā€™ for when or what to make groups and components.

Everything in your model is made up of straight edges and flat faces. you combine them to make flat planes and curved surfaces. A curved surface is made of many smaller flat faces with smoothed edges between. An Arc, circle, curve etc is made of multiple straight segments. There are no curves in sketchup.
All this raw geometry sticks together and interacts in various ways. This is useful as it makes creating shapes very simple, but itā€™s downside is also that it sticks together. You need to tell it when you donā€™t want it to stick to other raw geometry, so you wrap it up in a container. This container can be a group or a component. Which you choose and when it up to you and what you plan to do with it.
In simple terms a Group is an editable individual, each copy you make of it is another individual. (technically they are still linked until edited but that is too much info)
While a Component is an editable Clone and any copies will reflect any changes within any other one of them. So make one component and copy it 10 times, edit number 7 and all the others will change too. Components can be made Unique which drops the link to the originals but retains the clone property in future copies.
Tags (previously called layers which you will see in older tutorials) Only, Only, only adjust the visibility of groups and components to which you have assigned a Tag. They Do Not separate geometry and should not be use on raw geometry.

So with that in mind you might start your house with a concrete slab, make it a group, ypu pull up the outer walls, Hmm one group? or a group for each side? Iā€™ll make a group for each. Pull up inner walls, same question, think Iā€™ll just do each room. A door, now will I use more than one of this door? yes probably so Iā€™ll make it a component so I can easily repeat it and make changes reflect through all of them. ā€¦
Right I need to work inside but the outer walls are in my way, should I hide them, wait No I can assign them a Tag and turn them off without risk of losing them. So I make a tag Outer walls and assign that Tag to the four groups of outer walls. I can also open the outliner and only turn the visibility off for two of them if I want to see the house that way, good thing I named the groups with something that made it easy to see which ones they are.

So this is a very basic way of looking at things, work though the Campus link pbacot gave you and develop your best practices from a good grounding.

2 Likes

Try making a block to the size of your windowā€™s outer dimension. Make it a component, then copy them in to your walls at the proper locations. Right click on the box and select the Intersect Faces tool. That will cut the box in to the wall. Delete the box and you will be left with the correct size hole in any of the objects the box penetrated.

As you may have gathered from the replies, SketchUp very much supports TIMTOWTDI (often pronounced Tim Toady): There Is More Than One Way To Do It!

@Box @pbacot @slbaumgartner
Thank you very much, your information and explanation is extremely useful. I like your concrete examples @Box, they give the insight how to think when designing.

Complex 3D group structures in the inner parts of the wall, middle group wall, complex structure grouped structure in the external details, how do I drill a hole for the glass door here?

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile says you are using SketchUp for Schools which is web based and intended for use by school children. Is that what you are using?

Hayır ,