Cut list CSV import to Cutlist FX material designation issue

I am sure I am doing the material designation wrong.

In this file when I do the Cut List take off the OSB wood comes out as “[wood OSB]”. For the plywood it comes out as “plywood”. This works for Cut List but when imported into Cultlist Fx it does not recognize the plywood and does not import it. However if I go into the Cut List CSV file and add to the plywood in the materials file it imports correctly.

I need an education on what I am doing wrong for material designation.

Lower North Cabinet.skp (621.6 KB)

Thanks

This sounds like a question for the CutListFX people since it has to do with adding something to the CSV file before importing it.

That said, it could have something to do with the weird names you are giving to your materials. There’s no need to do things like this.
Screenshot - 1_11_2021 , 6_45_34 AM

I also see that you are painting component containers and the faces inside. There’s no reason to do this either. In your model you shouldn’t be painting the components. You should only be painting the faces and for simplicity, paint all the faces inside the component with the same material.

If you are going to define the materials be painting them with colors/textures, there’s really no point in also adding that to the component definition name. Do one or the other but not both. And no need to add the thickness to the Definition Name either. That will get taken care of automatically.

As we discussed yesterday, you should be working in SketchUp with finer Display Precision.

Here’s the CSV file generated from the model after I did a bit of cleanup.
Lower North Cabinet_CutList.zip (523 Bytes)

I’m also seeing incorrect tag usage. ALL raw geometry should be untagged.
Screenshot - 1_11_2021 , 7_09_02 AM

And Untagged should always be left as active. You have Cabinets set as active.
Screenshot - 1_11_2021 , 7_08_39 AM

1 Like

holy cow. I needed to do some work.

I did what I think I was supposed to do to the materials. Updated the precision and cleaned up the lengths.

Per what I googled I see that I should do all my work under layer 0 and then pick components to put into layers. I am trying to download the TIG extension to do this automatically on my files that I have already completed. Not sure if this worked but I deleted all the layers and put everything in layer 0. Then picked the major components and put into their own new layer.

And now the plywood now does have the [ ] after Cutlist’ed so I am good there!

Please let me know if I did right. I am still a bit confused on material designation and how to paint the surface
Lower North Cabinet.skp (803.8 KB)

thanks!

Technically, nothing goes into or on a layer in SketchUp. In fact the word “layer” has been replaced with “tag”. Part of the reason is that tags/layers get assigned to or go on objects (groups/components). Layer 0 or Untagged should be left as active at all times. All geometry is created with Layer 0 or Untagged assigned to it and remains with that layer/tag assigment. Components or groups are created for discrete collections of geometry (as you’ve done) to provide separation. You can then assign layers/tags to those components/groups to control their visibility.

Are you referring to TIG’s plugin to correct the incorrect layer/tag assignment for raw geometry? That’s a good way to repair models. I use it frequently with models I get from others. Of course if you are using the correct work flow as you model, you won’t have any need for it going forward.

That’s good.

There’s still some needless texture application in your latest model. Open the components for editing and apply the textures directly to the faces. No need to apply textures to the component containers, then. The face materials override the component materials anyway.

1 Like