Look to the bottom of this post for an .skp…
I’ve decided to rework one of my old projects, with an eye to obtaining enough cohesion in it to allow for detailed work to be added in the latter stages.
Trying to work out the underlying logic in the tiling aspect of this sphere, I noticed that there were 8 pivot points where the figurines meet at the tip of their wings. Since these are symmetric, they describe a cube whose corners coincide with the sphere"s surface.
Joining these apexes with the appropriate arcs, and taking into account the fact that each of the six defined surfaces holds 4 figurines, 2 angels and 2 demons, with some “spill over”, which requires another step.
Basically, the whole assemblage is made of 24 iterations of a single tile, but these have to be modified by using the turn function from the appropriate corner, or by Paste in Place once the assemblage is done, assuming that the tiles are components at that stage.
One problem that arises is that Joint Push-Pull refuses to handle the resulting surface as a single surface, most times stopping at the “creases” that appear in the latter stages of the construction.
The other, potential, problem are the “curlicues” that appear near the demon’s heels after exploding the ball, which I’m sure will trip me up later on. I’ve had a look with Edge Inspector which didn’t help. This is shown here as a thicker line.
first solid ball.skp (1.3 MB)