Curviloft,Flowify,Joint Push-Pull et al

Look to the bottom of this post for an .skp…
I’ve decided to rework one of my old projects, with an eye to obtaining enough cohesion in it to allow for detailed work to be added in the latter stages.Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.10.47 AM
Trying to work out the underlying logic in the tiling aspect of this sphere, I noticed that there were 8 pivot points where the figurines meet at the tip of their wings. Since these are symmetric, they describe a cube whose corners coincide with the sphere"s surface.

Joining these apexes with the appropriate arcs, and taking into account the fact that each of the six defined surfaces holds 4 figurines, 2 angels and 2 demons, with some “spill over”, which requires another step.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.27.20 AM
Basically, the whole assemblage is made of 24 iterations of a single tile, but these have to be modified by using the turn function from the appropriate corner, or by Paste in Place once the assemblage is done, assuming that the tiles are components at that stage.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.36.34 AM.
One problem that arises is that Joint Push-Pull refuses to handle the resulting surface as a single surface, most times stopping at the “creases” that appear in the latter stages of the construction.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.50.34 AM
The other, potential, problem are the “curlicues” that appear near the demon’s heels after exploding the ball, which I’m sure will trip me up later on. I’ve had a look with Edge Inspector which didn’t help. This is shown here as a thicker line.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 10.58.19 AM

first solid ball.skp (1.3 MB)

1 Like

This can almost be done with Flowify, however, you will get problems along the borders of the six sides on the sphered cube (if you’re mapping in 3D). I once made a planet in the exact same way but had to modify Flowify to accept explicit normals along the borders like in the image below. The edges along the borders define normals that all go to the center of the sphere forcing the geometry to synch over the borders.

This setup allowed for a road system to be correctly mapped on a sphere

Long story short - there is an updated version of Flowify in the pipe which can handle this quite well, but it will not be released for a while.

2 Likes

Curses!.. Foiled again!..
If I was a fish, I’d be scrod.
Thanks for sharing, though…

You may not be entirely out of luck. It’s possible to add some padding to the setup to force correct normals. The setup in the image (and the attached file) should work along the borders (possibly except for the corners - I haven’t tried that). The pink borders are quads from the adjacent sides.

In the image you see two different projection grids. The first grid is a flattened version of the target grid. I use Eneroth Flatten to Plane for this. The great advantage with the first setup is that you get much better preservation of shapes in the mapping. The disadvantage is that you need to draw your original geometry slightly warped…Maybe it’s possible to draw the basic shapes directly on the sphere and then flatten these as well.

flowify.setup.skp (1.6 MB)

I’m afraid the proposed workaround is a non-starter; The tops of the designs MUST straddle the limits of the six “squares”, otherwise they can’t be neatly assembled. Any method that involves placing complete shapes inside the boxes is doomed to failure.
I’d show you the results of this line of thought, but I’m afraid I dumped those files a few days ago.
Again, I do appreciate the input.
P.S.: I can’t open the attached file, my version of Make being too old.

Yes, but they do (implicitly), the pink borders are just dumb padding, they can be removed in post processing so to speak. See below updated file (in skp8 format). The geometry synchs across sides except for the corners where some manual adjustments have to be applied.

flowify.setup.skp (2.8 MB)

Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t get your point.

The parts corresponding to these reversed faces are still separate from both character’s outlines.
I don’t see how they can be put in without breaks in the unity of their surfaces.

One of the images of you original post shows a quarter of one of the six sides on the (sphered) cube. If the pattern in this quarter suffices to reproduce the pattern over the whole sphere it should be possible to map it in Flowify. The file in my last post was sort of bad - it was a proof of concept for the mapping but did not pay attention to the pattern. Is the image below closer to what you want to achieve?

Absolutely.
From the 1st screencap in my latest reply. you’ll have noticed that, in the .skp I could open, I rotated the misoriented “squares”.
I see you’re Flowifying 3D blocks, whereas I went for Joint Push-Pulling 2D patterns AFTER the Flowification. Either method is messy and problematic when comes time for the final assembly, the borders not “meshing” perfectly.
In any case, I’m back to square one, which is that “cross-border” tranfers of elements don’t result in workable, solid groups or components.
I should mention that there’s a third element in each quarter-square, namingly a kind of block that separates the demon’s legs and prevents the angel’s feet from touching those of its axial “reflection”.
This feature appeared when this design was made into a sculpture, instead of the 2D pattern from which I made the original posting in 3DW.

It does, but it entails the seamless migration of some parts of the iterations into different iterations.
There’s the rub.