Creating Realistic Perpsective

So here’s the concept: Print a large backdrop of a scene of an office, with a table in the foreground center. Then have a small section of a real table butted up against the screen so that it looks like the table and the screen are in the same perspective, basically giving the illusion that the table is a 3D protrusion from the screen. I’ve attached a couple pics showing how far we’ve gotten.

I realize that the perspective will only work from one spot, and one height. That’s okay. We have a very controlled place we’re using it, so we’ll be able to guide the viewer to the right spot. But as we started tweaking and playing and trying to get to right perspective, I quickly realized that I had never even heard of Field of View in SketchUp. So we started messing with that, which quickly led me to think “before I spend hours making a mess of this, maybe Field of View isn’t the only perspective-effecting tool that I know nothing about in SU. Let’s ask the experts for some pointers.”

So if there are any general tips for achieving perspective in an application like this that you’d like to share, I’m all ears. After this hurdle, the goal will be to render in VRay, plot and make sure all lines up before sending to a printer. But that’s a challenge for another day. Realistic perspective is the first goal.

Thanks!

If you have an uncropped version of that screencap image…showing the desk going all the way down to the floor, You might be able to use MatchPhoto. But instead of recreating the objects on the image, you extend forwards (or backwards, depending how you look at it) into the “real” room. The original Scene in MatchPhoto will always bring you back to the perspective-matched position. You could later substitute the current cropped image for the full capture. You may need to model a simple cuboid representing the desk, just to get you started.

Failing that, you could use a trick popular in the earliest days of SU for simulating wall mirrors…before there was any way of rendering reflective surfaces. That supposed projection could actually be a full 3D reflection of the office…viewed through a bluish, milky glass and with an image of the toolbars floating at the top; and with separate, fairly flat lighting. That way you’re guaranteed matched perspective…whatever the angle.

Okay, the first reply was just off the top of my head. It turns out that the process is very straightforward.
Import (as a Match Photo) a larger screen grab of the intended projection…one showing the base of the desk.
Line up all the perspective lines in the usual way, then when you are done, start your model by drawing a single line along the base of the desk in the photo. In my little mock-up, the rest of the desk is based on this. If you’ve already got a model of the desk, I guess you could import that and align and scale it to match that single line.
Once the desk is in place, the rest of the room can be modelled around it…including the wall and screen.

Next…in the match Photo dialog (which is greyed-out except for when you are in the Match Photo scene) click the button to project the image onto the model. Then get rid off this projected texture on everything other than the screen.

Lastly, click on the scene tab again to get everything back in perspective…then go to the Scenes dialog and delete the scene. Finally…taking care not to move the viewpoint in any way, create a new scene that is exactly the same viewpoint as the one you;ve just deleted. Only this time it doesn’t have the Match Photo image overlying everything. This is the scene that you will render. I’ve attached a skp as well as the pic.

office.skp (124.0 KB)