Creating faces for floors

I would ensure the dimensions are correct by using a confirmed dimension i.e. ‘door width’ before commencing to model.

Your class example you shared, do you mean you import that into SU as a dwg or jpeg? Enjoy your pizza :slight_smile:

Can you eleborate on this please as I’m not quite sure I get what you mean. Thanks

the first one we import as a dwg. because if we imported it as a jpg, we would loose precision and that’s the main point about importing an already made plan. it’s precise.

the second, hand drawn, we import as a png. and I let them draw, until someone realises the model doesn’t completely matches the image (when they obey the given dimensions). turns our the corner of a room is 89,5° and 7cm thick walls, drawn at 1:25 only measure 2,8mm. but since I drew it with ink that bled on a thick paper, the thin walls measure closer to 3mm, 7,5cm in real life.

the lesson is, in the end, you can’t blindly trust the png. and that in the end, if you want to be precise, between an dwg/dxf and a simple image, it’s not even a competition.

I open the dwg in autocad or qcad to show them what is drawn in 2d. then I import it in SU and we compare the before / after.
you know, the fact that we loos line colours, thickness, hatches, dimensions, texts…
but still, we get precise lines that we can use as a guide or as actual lines.

Do you prepare the dwg file in AutoCAD beforehand or do you follow the SKU workflow inside SketchUp?

here, take a look.

the image, imported and scaled as precisely as I could, using the 1400 line on top.
and on top of it, the actual proper vector plan.

test.skp (198.2 KB)

in the image, the lines are thicker because it’s a raster image. in vector they are thinner and… again, precise :slight_smile:

depends.
I’ll always open it in Qcad (or similar) before anything, just to read it, understand it, and see if there are things I can just remove .I need construction elements at the start of the build, I need walls, slabs, columns and beams. I don’t care about the toilets or the handicap symbol on the parking spot. or the detailed tree. And if the DWG was well made, it’s easier in 2d in qcad (delete layers and blocks)

Then I’ll import in SU.

Sometimes I’ll redraw straight on the imported plan, other time I’ll make a few copies, explode them, and use the already drawn lines to make faces. Depends on the plan, on the complexity, on the time needed to clean it in SU.

Perfect and thank you so much for taking the time to share images and explain the best way forward its very much appreciated!!

1 Like