Creating Custom Scale

I’ve tried following the instructions given for creating a new scale (3/8" = 1’-0) but I can’t get it to work. When I click on my newly created scale, my drawing disappears.I don’t understand the instructions given; it should be in plainer English. Can anyone advise?

WhT is the scale of the viewports before you select the scale? Your model isn’t disappearing. It’s zooming in to a blank area. Make the view port larger before setting the new scale. You will likely have to resize the viewport more after selecting the scale.

Thanks. That was the case. What I don’t understand is that 3/8" (1:32) should be larger than 1/4" (1:48) but smaller than 1/2" (1:24) but its enormous. Much bigger scale than 1/2". I’ve tried entering the values various ways into the required fields but the result is always the same - scale too large to fit onto a tabloid sheet. Don’t get it!

I don’t get it either. I made a 1:32 scale in LO and applied it to the center viewport in the attached screen grab. 1:24 on the left, 1:48 on the right. It seems to do what is expected.