Creating Brick Patterns in Layout

I did it from Layout, so I could modify the line weight first.

Mmmmm, that’s odd. Attached are two screen grabs from my Layout.

The right hand side clearly shows little tiny portions of the vertical lines, whereas the left side the horzontal line is hidden because it appears to be sloping.

Mike

I made a new one from your SKP file. Note how I set the render type to Vector and the Lineweight to 2.0. Then I exported a PNG at 300 DPI and cropped it in an image editor to get this:

Then imported it as a new Pattern Fill. The SU viewport is on the left and the pattern fill is on the right. I scaled it to 0.50x but it could be scaled more to make it smaller.

The image could be reduced in size if needed. And if the lineweight was reduced, the lines would be thinner and more gray.

Thank you @DaveR

Think I will try that, exporting as PNG then using Photoshop to crop rather than messing with paper size in Layout.

Hopefully that might make a difference.

Mike

Still doing it.

Attached is a Layout file. Notice the difference in the gap at the left and right, at the bottom of the rectangle.

MikePattern Issue 2.layout (54.4 KB)

It doesn’t look skewed to me. Maybe you need some sleep. Or a shot of something amber. :smiley:

1 Like

Whoah!!!

Is that my Layout File?

That’s freaky!

Mike

Yeah. I just made a screen grab.

Well, maybe I do need a shot!!! Or a few.

Attached are two screen shots from my Layout file, on my display.

It must be my display, because it definitely appears skewed in Layout on my display.

I exported as a PDF, opened in photoshop and it’s as straight as straight can be.

It’s been driving me bonkers!

Thank you so much for your time, patience and help.

Mike

1 Like

In the last image you posted the 2nd line from the bottom is slightly off from horizontal. The red circle is around the tiny step I see. The black line in the middle is horizontal but there’s a step in the anti-aliasing suggesting that something is off.

Yeah, that’s what’s been bugging me @McGordon.

However, when I export the file to PDF and open in Photoshop, it’s straighter than straight.

So I can only assume it’s a display issue.

I think I can live with it for what I need to apply these patterns to. In Layout, they will only be used to show Tile layout for a tiler. I can scale the patterns to suit the scale of the Viewport, and the main annotation will be to indicate the Datum point to start tiling. And, it PDFs ok anyway.

It was just one of those annoying little buggers that I wanted to try and solve.

Mike

I think it’s a display issue with the screen shot because that jog doesn’t not appear in your LO file on my computer.

1 Like

I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re right @DaveR.

(It will be Apple, being more concerned with making sure people can have stupid shortcuts and gimmicky touch-bar malarkey, to quickly add emojis, rather than spend time on their screen quality :wink: )

Many many thanks again. Much appreciated.

I’m off for that Shot :wink:

Mike

2 Likes

Have one for me, too.

1 Like

It’s not your pattern and it’s not the shape you’re filling. It seems to be Layout. I tried with the built in Geometric Tiles/Black Linework/Basketweave and I see the same thing happening above a horizonal line drawn with the red inference in Layout.

Funny. I don’t see it in LayOut.

I tried rotating the pattern clockwise to compensate but even 0.01° is too much and it won’t accept a small enough angle to fix it.

Here’s a screenshot of the basketweave pattern not quite lining up with the top of the window in Layout:

I reckon it must be a Mac display issue then.

When I PDF’d the layout file, and opened it in Photoshop, it was fine and straight.

Mike

1 Like

here is another pattern generator (for tiles) from Mosa:
http://generator.mosa.com/?_ga=2.6390194.164920658.1516013390-590194050.1516013390

3 Likes

Hi @MikeWayzovski

The Mosa one is brilliant!

Really nice, (and probably very expensive), tiles too.

Thank you for the link.

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.