Creating a studio setup for my furniture models

Hi All, I need some help with setting up a studio environment for my furniture models? I’m new on the forum, so as soon as I figure out how the attach models/pics, I will do so.

This is the best that I can do without a studio setup. Any ideas on how to make it more photo realistic?

Data Track 3.skp (1.4 MB)

Here’s the Skippy, if someone can assist with advice on improving the rendering?

thanks.

3arend

Which Renderer do you use?

Hi Cotty,

Irender nxt. I know the question of which rendering package to use have been discussed at length over the years, but what do you suggest I use?

Regards.

Shadows.pdf (631.4 KB)

The shadows is another issue that might be overcome by using another rendering package?

Regards.

Barend

The term ‘studio’ is a bit vague.
You haven’t said what you have in mind in terms of the finished image.

Perhaps you want to present the desk in an attractive office setting.
You could model the office and make it a Component, then save it to a local collection for later use.

The ‘office’ doesn’t need to be all four walls, floor and ceiling.
All you need to model is enough to create the view you want without interfering with the camera.

This image was rendered with Kerkythea from the rather odd looking model shown below.

The only way to make a model like this more photo realistic than you have shown* is to put it in a more “natural” environment with some props: walls, carpets, desk tidy, magazines… put some clutter in the shelves or pencils on surface. (Not too much and not too organised/tidy/linear) Same with the background - just put it in a simple corner (or against a wall) with magnolia paint and perhaps a basic calendar or clock on the wall. Use a boring carpet tile in a neutral grey on the floor.

(* I would say that it’s a good render just now)

Thanks Gadget! I appreciate your feedback. I will add some clutter and post the result.

Hi Geo, Thanks for the advice! The renderings will be used in a catalogue as per the attached photo taken in a studio, so an office setting is not necessary.

Your rendering is iMO almost there. I would say that you should put attention to the lighting setup - if you look at the studio photo you posted it seems to have a rather uniformly soft general lighting plus one direct light from the right back of the camera that creates the shadows that bring out the form. In your image I like that all the background hasn’t been cut away, some shadows on the floor make the object look less floating in space. As Gadget said, some non-distracting entourage like the equipment in the studio photograph is also in place here.

As to modelling the studio background, you could copy a standard photographic studio backdrop with a white floor that curves smoothly into a background wall., as has probably been used in the photo you posted.

Anssi

Looking at it again, the grain of the wood on the desktop runs the wrong way on the storage piece - you need to either break it in the render package or use a different material in the model before you export. (and then change the orientation within the render package)

Ah … then the all white setup looks like what the way to go.
I agree with @Anssi, in that a bit of soft shadow on the floor would be more realistic.

Geo

Your advice here please, on the Kerkythea site, one could download what appears to be a standalone Kerkythea rendering program or a Kerkythea Sketchup Plugin.

Opinion? is there additional functionality in the standalone that I would miss?

Running MacBook Air, Yosemite, lightweight hobby work…

Beautiful setting by the way…

Dave

To render your SketchUp models with Kerkythea, you want to install both…

Kerkythea is the standalone rendering application.
The SU2KT SketchUp Plugin provides interoperability between SU and Kerky.

Kerkythea is a bit of a deep pool at first.
Be sure to download the Kerkythea Getting Started Guide and other tutorials of interest.

Thanks! Really appreciate your advice, and thanks to DaveR as well…