Crashing while running animation - solved by copying and pasting all to new file

I have a file for a construction project that was developed over many iterations through client feedback that began as a 3D CAD file developed in another program and exported to SketchUp. This file contained many copies of 3 main components and grew to 83000 kb and started to crash frequently when saving.
I ran a purge which stabilized it a little, but when trying to run animations it would crash every time. I tried changing settings, everything I could think of but nothing worked until in a moment of desperation I copied everything in the file and pasted into a fresh file. The animation ran without a problem.
Afterwards I noticed that the file size for the new file had dropped to 33500 kb.
How does this happen? I’m wondering what the other almost 50000 kb consisted of, and is it possible to get rid of this bloat without going to a new file where I had to recreate all of my scenes, style and shadow settings?

impossible to say without having access to both files. It could be excessive hidden geometry, entities very far from the origin, invisible point cloud data from another program. The “imported from somewhere else” is suspicious.

To preserve the scenes you might try copying the geometry you want to the clip board. Then ensure all tags are set to visible, as well as hidden geometry and hidden objects. Then select all and delete, also purge the file. Then paste in place the things you wanted back into the file and save as a new file.

Thanks. I’ll try this on the original file and see what happens.

Here’s what happened. A straight purge on the original file resulted in no change in file size, still 83000 kb.
Copying all of the entities to the clipboard, deleting the original and pasting from the clipboard reduced the file size by 2000 kb.
Repeating the above and including a purge after deleting the original entities and before pasting from the clipboard reduced the file size to 14060 kb.
This seems like a very easy and effective way to reduce file size before running animations.
Are there likely to be any potential downsides to this?

It would be wise to save as under a new name to keep incremental backups of this process, in case you accidentally delete something you wanted, but no there are no real downsides. You can also delete everything from the original model and resave as an empty file with scenes and sytles, that should be a near 0 file, if it is not then somthing remains. Then reopen that and paste in place the geometry you want . Keep in mind if there is extensive hidden geometry included but unseen in any of the components or groups you are copy and repasting they will be carried along and continue to bloat the file. IT would be very interesting to see the file in question, if you care to post a link to it or you could PM me the link if you do not want to share with the world.

Here’s the original file. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aieq6amCp2oQjbZjYzoPDagso73IsA?e=0FeG7J
The building modules were originally created using STI Spirit CAD SPIRIT – 3D BIM CAD-Software which exports directly to SketchUp as a version 2021 file. These were saved as SketchUp component types and materials and other finishing components added from there.

Simply using Tig’s Purge reduces the file from 81mb to 15mb. I’m guessing you may be missing things when you purge. And the animation runs fine.

1 Like

Like @Box I used TIG’s Purge All to purge the file of unused stuff. I fixed incorrect tag usage first.
Screenshot - 1_22_2024 , 6_12_02 PM

Screenshot - 1_22_2024 , 6_12_36 PM

Purging reduced file size for me by almost 87%. The resulting file is a respectable 10.7 Mb.
Wairoa v1.2 purged.skp (10.7 MB)

1 Like

Interesting. Good results for you guys, but I downloaded and ran the Default tag geometry

Then ran Tig Purge

all and got no reduction in file size at all.

There’s something lurking in my file perhaps.

Did you save the file before checking the size?

2 Likes

There you go…

Learning a lot here today, thanks guys.

A better indicator of the “weight” of a file than file size alone is the amount of actual edges and faces SketchUp has to process. You can check this in the Model Info>Statistics window when checking the “Show nested components” box and selecting “Entire model” from the popup menu.

2 Likes