Crashes in model and file

the model containing developed objects causes prolong buffering and delays, and sometimes crashes. Which dialogue box in Sketchup tool bar shows the amount of file in Kbs per object in the model?

In the Window menu is Model Info. The Statistics tab gives a breakdown of the number of edges, faces, components, materials, and so on. It doesn’t tie exactly to the amount of file space it takes, but, in the Model Info, Statistics tab, there is an option to purge unused items. That may reduce the file size by a useful amount.

If you want more suggestions about the model, would you be able to post it somewhere, and tell us the link to the file?

thanks for the info, currently the file I’m working on has 94,000 Kb which includes a district of a city (from placemaker) and a few objects that will be integrated back into the district. Placemaker contain only generic buildings which I’m remodeling on the interior and exterior for my project. I’ll check the “Model info” to find how much in edges and faces and go from there. I did delete a lot of excess, but the amount of KBs only dropped a small amount, which didn’t make sense given a lot was deleted.

The model info shows a lot of edges and faces. Here is a photo sample

You might want to look into a couple of extensions that potentially can reduce file size and clean up SU models.

TIG: Default Tag Geometry (https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=default_layer_geometry)
TIG: Purge All (SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation)
THOMTHOM: (SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation)

If the objects that you deleted were component instances, then keep in mind that the component definition remains in the model (and should be visible in the Components window/panel, under the In-Model list). The amount of space required by each component instance is relatively small, compared to the amount of space required by the component definition (generally speaking). You can purge unused component definitions to further reduce the file size.

Thanks, for the help. I’m a little lost on the terminology. What is the difference between component instances and definition? I tried to upload the link to the model along with objects in the model, buildings, landscape, etc. But an error message failed the upload maybe too large. I did find in the Model Info the “purge” option, but wasn’t sure how to purge, and how to select which objects to purge. And I don’t want to purge certain the wrong object by mistake. I already deleted a lot objects and the file size dropped only from 94,000 KB. Can the file be uploaded or linked to check it?

You could use dropbox or google drive, or wetransfer, as a way to upload a larger file, then reply here with a link to the file.

One of the values of a component is that you can have one copy in the components panel, and maybe 10 or 20, or any number of copies of it in the scene. The ones in the components panel are the definitions, and the ones in the scene are the instances. Having 2028 components in a scene is quite a lot, but having 2023 definitions means that in only a few cases are you taking advantage of it being a component.

A Component Definition contains the specifications of the geometry to be in a Component - think of it like an abstract template or pattern. A Component Instance realizes a concrete example of the definition at a specific place and orientation in the model.

The forum has a limit of about 15MB on the file size you can upload directly. For larger models you can load the model to a file sharing site such as DropBox and provide a link here. Make sure the shared file is publicly viewable.

Purge removes things that are contained in the model file, but not currently used in the model. Typically this includes Component Definitions that have no current Instances, and Tags, Styles, and Materials that aren’t applied to anything. There are extensions that let you choose which of these types to purge, but I don’t know of any that let you choose for example which unused Component Definitions you want to purge. You would need to open the Components window and delete them one by one from there.

I found the correct purge option, and it was successful finally. It brought the file size down from 94,000 KB to 33,000 KB, and didn’t change the appearance of the model at all !! That’s great, thanks. I posted another screenshot for separate question, which each time a new file in Sketchup is created, it adds another file with SKB extension that doesn’t seem to have a purpose, though it contains the same file size, and kind of a twin to the original SKP file–side by side. When clicking on the 2nd SKB file under the same name, it opens up with a “Microsoft dialogue” box and suggesting to “Look for an ‘App’ in the Microsoft store”, that doesn’t seem to have any purpose. Can I delete this SKB file without affecting the SKP file? The posted screenshot below refers to the extra file that is created by default but doesn’t seem to have any purpose.

The SKB file is a SketchUp Backup file, essentially a copy of the original SKP file at a point in time. You can delete the SKB file if you think you would never make a big mistake when editing the original SKP file and you really want that storage back on your computer. I think there is a preference setting in SketchUp to create or not to create these backup files.

I thought it might be a backup but wasn’t sure. I use a different backup method, which is just to create a different file every few days or after much development in the model only by changing the file name slightly, i.e., project 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But I think this clears everything for the file size problem, as mentioned the “Purge” option solved the problem, as shown the file was reduced to 37,000 KB down from 94,000 KB quite easily and without affecting the model, thanks

That’s grate! BTW may I ask about what the window and door extension or plugin you use?

I posted a photo copy from my extension manager, so the correct names. One is “Window builder” and another "Vali-Tech’, and a popular one is “Flex tools”, I like Flex tools because the size of the window is easy to change while installing in a building. Please see photo copy of the list of windows and doors extensions.

keep in mind, while some are free extensions, others have a subscription cost. But are fairly reasonable. One of them is around $30 per year but forgot which

Thank you for your information, I will take a look!

Does uninstalling and reinstalling SU program fix lock ups and crashes or corrupt program or files?

Please don’t double post @jabrown. I’ve responded to your topic