Cotty's gallery images

A tea table…

3 Likes

WOW ! ! Question there do you have that as a item skp or what ever file ? Would like to make this via the 3D printer … would have to scale it down a LOT . . LOL . . That would be a REALLY sturdy table . .

Looks more like a coffee table to me! :wink:

Thank you, here’s the raw SketchUp model…
(There’re a lot of overhangs for a 3D print, aren’t they?)

teatable_cotty.skp (92.8 KB)

Unless you’re 3D printing for a doll house - yes. But it looks like it might be a good candidate for CWC if you don’t have access to a shop to do it yourself - no matter what you call it!

Flowify playing…

5 Likes

Well will play with it in sketchup and see if the corners meet and erase th extra stuff is this grouped ? thought about taking it apart and making one part per print . . to see what it comes out like

A table…

16 Likes

The corner joints resemble a traitional wooden puzzle, called “The Devil’s Fist” in our parts.

Anssi

Neat . . But I like Wooden things gives me Ideals on how to make something else . .

We had a bed with corner joints like that. It was made of koa.

1 Like

A bench…

6 Likes

@Cotty do you ever build any of these pieces that you model?

Also do you think the bench you just posted would have racking or shear issues?

Very rarely to not at all. It’s just so nice to create them in SketchUp… :wink:
I didn’t thought about the statics calculation for this one.

Judging solely by eye, the combination of the large load carrying uprights and beams with the joinery indicated causes me to think that there would be no problems with racking or shear. I’m not an engineer, so it’s an unsubstantiated guess!

1 Like

Ill preface this by saying I’m not an engineer either. It seems to me that a lateral force parallel to the long side of the bench might cause the bench to rack. Nevertheless this is a great render.

Without actual dimensions, materials and joinery specs, we can only speculate. But I’ll bet @DaveR could provide a far more educated guess than either of us!

I expect that bench would be amazingly sturdy. If those bridle joints are tight and glued properly, there’s a massive amount of glue surface. Suppose those timbers are 75mm wide (high). Each gluing surface would be 5625mm². Times six faces that’s 33,750 mm² of gluing surface area. I’ve seen catilevered pieces with less gluing surface that were plenty strong. Reitveld’s zig-zag chair is a good example.

7 Likes

So my guess was good. Yay!

2 Likes

+1
With the appropriate wood selection the cross section just at the end of the joinery, (3x white) looks sufficient. The gluing strength should not be a problem, (far better than shear on 3x white) depending on the glue of course.