Constraint not approved at this time

One last thing Dave, I purchased you DVD sometime ago and go to it often for help. Great work. .thanks Jim King

Hi Jim. That’s nice to hear. I’m happy if it helps.

Dave

I’ve read through all of the comments and as a user and teacher of SketchUp I understand what’s being written. However, for the nubie we can make this real simple.

To draw a line;
Click on a first point (anywhere you want)
Let go of the mouse button then
Drag the line out in any direction (preferably on axis)
Type in the length you want and hit ENTER.
That’s it.

As for the mouse center button problem with Orbit and Zoom, it’s more than likely you’ll need to open your mouse software and set the center button to “middle”. Some mice are not properly set to the “middle” setting so they don’t know what to do with the mouse input from depressing the center button (scroll wheel).
If you don’t know how to do this, Google the Brand name of the mouse you’re using to try and locate user instructions.

I would avoid the word “Drag”: it’s associated with holding the mouse button down.

To draw a line:

• Left-Click once on the first point (anywhere)
  • (Do not hold the mouse button down)
  • Move the mouse to the desired location. (Note that the line is attached from the first point to your mouse)
  • If you type in a value and hit [enter] without clicking anything, the line will re-size to be that length in the direction you see on-screen
  • If you move the mouse between typing and hitting [enter], then the mouse movement will over-write the numbers you just typed in.
  • As long as you don’t click on anything else or move the mouse, you can type in another number and it will re-size the line.
1 Like

Ok, drag was probably not a good term: move the mouse in the direction you want to draw the line is better.

So, with the Line tool active Click on the line start point
Let go of the button,
Move the mouse in the direction you want to draw the line,
Look for the line to turn Red, Green or Blue to stay on axis,
Type in the dimension you want,
Hit ENTER.

You can move the mouse without problems after finishing the line and typing a new length.

I see this thread has been asleep for awhile and I did not have time to read through all the woodworking comments to see if someone mentioned a solution to this problem BUT, if you are entering values with the number pad and “NumLock” is not on then this message pops up.

Hope that helps someone out there save some time. I just spent like 45min on this to find it was that simple…

2 Likes