Components not being created properly

I make an object then select all connected and make it a component. After this when I select part of what was supposed to be a block only the part that I touch is selected, not the entire block. If I try to move the entity I select only it is moved and the other parts “rubber band” to it, If I select all connected it will select the entire object the way that it should if it was a block. I hope this makes sense.

I’m using windows 10 and Sketchup Make, Version 12.2.2555 64bit

Something else that I noticed might be causing the problem. Every time I open up Sketchup Make I get a notice that there are extensions that need updating. Also, there is an extra item in the windows taskbar with the Sketchup logo. When I click on it a Microsoft Office Outlook notification pops up stating that

“Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.”

How about uploading the SketchUp file so we can see what you’ve got? Otherwise we’re only guessing.

You have perhaps unchecked this box (highlighted in yellow):
When it is unchecked, SketchUp leaves the original edges and faces in place, and you will find the component you created only in the In Model section of your Components tray.

@Anssi, for curiosities sake, can you think of any reason to not have that checked? I don’t see the use of it.
Thanks, Chris

I’m not Anssi but I play one on TV. :smiley:

I can imagine someone might want to make components out of small chunks of their model. It’s not something I’ve ever needed. Fortunately they set it up so if you tick that box it should remain ticked going forward.

1 Like

I would uncheck it if I was making a series of related components with variants.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, that makes sense.

Thanks for the offer Dave. I’m embarrassed to say that I found the problem and it was me.

John

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.