Components Disappearing When Hiding Layers that they are not In?

I have two layers and two sets of components. One set is clearly labeled as in layer A and the other in layer B. All components are made up of text on top of shapes.
When I hide layer A Components A hide, but the shapes of Components B disappear as well (leaving the text). When I hide Layer B Components B disappear as expected.

Looking into it. Apparently the problem components are in layer B but the edges that make up the components are in layer A. That does not seem to make any sense, and it seems like that should be impossible.

This is an example of why experts recommend that you always leave all edges and faces associated with Layer0 and only associate groups, components, and non-geometry entities such as dimensions with other layers.

Every entity has an independent reference to a layer. The layer used by a group has no effect on what layers may be used by its contents. Assigning a layer to a group does not automatically do anything to the layer assignments of its contents.

There is a one-way dominance between the visibility of the layer used by a container such as a group and the layers used by its contents: if the group’s layer is hidden, all contents are hidden regardless of their layers, but if the group’s layer is visible, the layers of the contents determine whether they are shown. When used appropriately, this behavior can actually be quite useful, allowing you to selectively suppress some of the nested contents. Used wrongly, as in your case, it causes confusion!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.