Compatible Graphics Card for Mac's Catalina?

My computer Mac, seems Apple has deep sixed drivers for Nvidia products with Catalina operating system anyone know best Graphics Card for Sketchup 2020? Hopefully Trimble will get around to letting me upgrade.

1 Like

did you find a driver that worked?

No they did not offer the Card anyway so went with their AMD Graphics card.

1 Like

You mean there was no plugin for your card that worked?

Apple hasn’t offered anything but AMD cards in their macs for several years.

1 Like

No when ordering the Laptop 16" MacBook Pro they only offer two versions of cards and neither are Nvidia cards. I have not checked the High End iMacs or the Desktop Mac towers, a bit on the pricey side. But the other situation is they are now coming with Apple’s own process no more Intel so people should proceed with caution. If you can afford one and you’re not as old as I, it is good to go with HP,Dell,MSI or Alienware,or special build Workstations, not game playing ones. I hear they kick butt. I know they offer the Nvidia graphics cards. It is hard to compete with foreign rendering farms, and they work very cheap. So it has become extremely price competitive. I used to get on average $10,000 a month, now you can buy a full blown beautifully done super detailed renderings for peanuts. (rice if you prefer).

1 Like

Apple hasn’t built or offered an NVIDIA card on any of their Macs since 2016. Good news is that NVIDIA isn’t necessarily the best for SketchUp use, and any AMD card in any Mac right now will run SketchUp perfectly fine, if not better, than many NVIDIA cards.

1 Like

Depending on the specific Mac model, you might be able to get a driver directly from NVidia. Unless you do rendering with an app such as V-Ray that needs NVidia’s CUDA for hardware acceleration, there is no significant advantage for SketchUp itself of NVidia vs Radeon graphics.

1 Like

Thanks, seems to be working on mine fairly well also.

1 Like

I think Sketchup seems to work primarily with CPU and the more cores the better.

Primarily with CPU, but not entirely (obviously). More cores makes absolutely no difference though. SketchUp can only use a single one of them at any given time.

1 Like