Combining two 2d angles into one 3d layout

I’m designing an interior space with angled walls and an angled ceiling. I started with a 2D top view and laid out the four walls how I wanted them, then did a profile 2D view of the front wall and ceiling angled.
Angling any walls in one layout effects how the two would combine. I tried making them both 3D by push-pulling the walls up, as I would in any rectangular design, then tried combining and intersecting. This allows me to remove some lines and walls, but does not take into account angles properly.
Is there a way to take a 2D floor plan, and intelligently combine it with a 2D profile plan? Or is there a proper manual way of combining these that I am not doing?

Thank you.

Can you upload a screenshot or the file so we can better understand your issue.

If I understand correctly, you have the floor plan and an elevation drawing. You can draw out the floor plan with the walls, and then push/pull the walls up. As for the elevation drawing, I wouldn’t suggest you try to draw it out in 2D, rather build it in the model. Because SketchUp is a 3D model, you’re building more than drawing 2D Objects.

Example:

Floor plan: a 2d plan

Elevation:

Rather than draw and merge the two, I ‘built’ it as someone would who reads your plan:

Naturally, to build off just one elevation is difficult as you may be missing some details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help!
Here are a couple of pics to try to explain:

This is an RFZ studio design (I’m a professional acoustician, but typically outsource my CAD needs.)

This is a shot from above. The bottom of the picture is the front wall.

This is a profile view, where the left is the front wall.

As you can see, the front wall is a complicated structure.

Here is an attempt to combine the two:

Doesn’t work so well. :wink:

Thanks again!

Hi jeremiahsheets,

In what way? It’s not clear exactly what you’re trying to achieve.
It’s an interesting project. Adding a bit more description will help us help you.

This is what I’m able to glean from your description and screenshots.
• You want to specify the angle of each wall surface.
• You want to specify the angle of each ceiling surface.
• You want the break points of the wall surfaces to align with the break points of the ceiling surfaces.
Is that correct?

If that’s the goal…
Then arrange the initial 2D geometry of ceiling and walls such that you can verify their alignment.

If it’s not, tell us more.

It looks to me like the elevation is more like a section through that box in the wall.
Do these pics come close to the objective?

Shep
Note: The new rotating rectangle tool really does work well for sorting these compound angles.

Shep, you nailed it! How did you accomplish this?
I don’t really need the side walls to curve up toward the ceiling, but definitely that front wall. You even have the speaker holes that I’m after. Awesome.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks so much!

The model in my post was started like this:

This seemed to reconcile the two images well enough but apparently you want the elevation to be aligned with the center wall, so you could try this:

Then: (you may have to click on the image below to see the animation)

Again, I was playing with the new rotated rectangle tool here so it was quite easy.
Hope this helps.

Shep

1 Like

What Shep is demonstrating very well here are the manual steps of what SketchUp’s native tool ‘Follow Me’ would do for you.
In Shep’s example you do have a profile (the cross sectional face of the room) and the path, the segmented base line. Apply boyh with the ‘Follow Me’ tool and you have your acoustic room.

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you both very much!